Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this relay, I bought a few actually

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PCO-5591PT&FROM=MG

I bought them because of the connector. the wires on the connector are 14 awg. herein lies my problem. my fuel pump calls for 10 awg wiring to the relay.
will I be ok using 10 gauge wire and just soldering it to maybe 2-3 inches of 14gauge on the connector so I can use the connector?

or will this be like using 14 gauge throughout?

help. I need to get this done today. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
The unit has 14 on it and it is rated for 40 amps. What does the pump draw as far as amps? If it's less than 40 I'm sure you'll be fine soldering to the leads provided.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the manual does not say, but its an aeromotive a1000.

so I can go ahead and solder to the leads provided? I plan to cut them down to a max of 3 inches.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If the relay is rated for the amps you are going to draw, then you are fine.

The fuel pump calls for 10 AWG because they don't know where you are going to mount it, and don't know how much wire you are going to use to get it there, so they are playing it safe.

Wire develops resistance with length. Short lengths of wire have little resistance, so you should be fine.

If you want to be totally safe, then do a little bench test:

Hook up the pump to run with an inline fuse holder. ( keep the test runs short, or else give it some fuel to pump )

Start with a 30 amp fuse, then work your way down incrementally ( 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 ) till you blow a fuse . That will tell you how much amps the pump is drawing. If the pump is drawing less amps than 14 AWG is rated, you are fine.

I just did a small search on 12 AWG wire, and came up with 20A for DC. SO.. if your fuel pump will run ( loaded.. IE pumping fuel ) with a 20A DC fuse, then you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the relay is rated for the amps you are going to draw, then you are fine.

The fuel pump calls for 10 AWG because they don't know where you are going to mount it, and don't know how much wire you are going to use to get it there, so they are playing it safe.

Wire develops resistance with length. Short lengths of wire have little resistance, so you should be fine.

If you want to be totally safe, then do a little bench test:

Hook up the pump to run with an inline fuse holder. ( keep the test runs short, or else give it some fuel to pump )

Start with a 30 amp fuse, then work your way down incrementally ( 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 ) till you blow a fuse . That will tell you how much amps the pump is drawing. If the pump is drawing less amps than 14 AWG is rated, you are fine.

I just did a small search on 12 AWG wire, and came up with 20A for DC. SO.. if your fuel pump will run ( loaded.. IE pumping fuel ) with a 20A DC fuse, then you will be fine.
this is GREAT info.thanks. youre absolutely right. the battery could be mounted in the front and the wire in the back.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
With a small screw driver, you can remove the 30 and 87 leads and change them, but like stated above, it may not be necessary. If you are maintaining 13.5+ volts at the pump, the 14 gauge should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts