Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, one of my lower control arm bolts didn't survive removal this weekend. Anyone see any issues with using a hardware store grade 8 bolt in it's place?

I picked some up earlier, the un-threadded body is the same diameter as the thickest part of the original. Obviously same course thread 1/2" bolt, slightly longer though.

Sorry for the random question that I probably already know the answer to.

Normally I'd just go to the junk yard and grab one out of another car, not as easy with a Nova though.. lol

Thanks

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I'm sure you have a Fastenal where you live.

Go there and get them, they'll have it in the proper length.

I would also go with a Grade 9 bolt.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
You never mentioned which bolt.

When it comes to suspension I always use quality Grade 8 bolts except in critical areas then I use Grade 9.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, Lower control arm.

I have the Grade 8 bolt in there now so I could put the rest of that side together. Car is still on the jack stands for the SFC install so hasn't been driven.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The end of the factory bolt is too beat up, I couldn't see what grade it was. lol

Fastenal is 2 miles down the road, I'll stop by today and see if they can set me up. It would be nice to get some new locknuts as well, all the hardware store had in grade 8 was nylocks... :no:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Those grade 8 with nylock nuts will be fine. You'll pull them through the frame before they'll ever break in shear.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not bad, $8 for 2 bolts, 4 nuts and some washers. Gotta have extras just in case.. lol

Going off the specs grade 8 should have been fine but even the stock one was a little bent whatever grade it was.

Thanks guys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The 3" bolts they had were too short, going back for 4" since they didn't have any 3.5" yesterday.

Ran into another problem last night, replacing the body bushings and managed to break what was left of one of the bolts... I soaked them every day for over a week with PB blaster. lol

I was able to get the captured nut off with a little persuasion from the torch, should be able to re-use it. See the pic of the bolt for how rusted away it was.

What do you guys recommend, an OE type kit like this: http://www.classicindustries.com/1972/nova/parts/bk678.html

(I'd probably just go to fastenal and get them faster)

Or the energy suspension kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-4143/overview/

I have new Prothane poly bushings to go in, i'm assuming the ES sleeves would fit but are they really needed?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. :)

Ended up just ordering the whole ES hardware kit for the body bushings. I pulled a couple more tonight and all the stock hardware is trashed.

I also get to make some patch panels for the 2 middle body mounts, they are rotted away where the old bushings sat.

I'm glad i found all this now instead of having a major failure down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts