Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just bought a stripped out 74 Nova. I have no idea what was in this thing stock, other than it was a small block V8 and had an automatic transmission. Also has a 10 bolt rear (assuming 3.08 open?).

I've heard I can swap a big block straight in using the stock mounts (replacement stock mounts..)? I have a 454 waiting.

Also, did these cars come with a TH350 or a TH400? I have a TH400 and I was hoping it would bolt right in, if not, can I get a crossmember from a nova that came with a TH400 and use that for the swap?

Thanks,
- Tony.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

It's a lot easier to drop that big block in if you have the big block frame mounts...You can get them from most of the restoration places or place a wanted ad on this site. On the TH400, you'll need that crossmember you were talking about so it'll fit. Otherwise, it's actually an easy swap! Don't forget the small items, like the big block heater box, bigger radiator, and if it doesn't have disc brakes on it now, definitely do that swap as well. Gotta be able to stop!

It's a fun conversion...I had a big block in mine for a while.

Jason

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big block frame mounts, that doesn't require replacing the K-member right? Just the engine mounts bolted to it?

It does have disc brakes in the front, but I have a feeling they're a little toasted - one has the lines cut to it and the other feels like it's rusted up pretty bad haha

Bigger radiator, I knew that. Big block heater box huh? Can I get that and the mounts from classic industries? I found the TH400 crossmember on there for my car for $73 bucks I think.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Yes Classic should have the big block frame mounts (yes all you have to do is remove a couple of bolts to replace them) along with the big block heater box...If not others on here probably have them for you! I'd post a Wanted ad first...can save some money that way!

Jason

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay great, exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts