Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have the new Multi Leaf Springs installed and now I have some questions.

The Mono leaf was only ½” thick and 2 ¼” wide. The new Multi leaf is 1” thick and 2 ½” wide. The spring perch is only 2 ½” wide so the questions are:

1) Will the springs fit into the perch on the axel with some modifications?
2) Will I need to replace the bolts in the spring perch with new longer ones?

Any information or help will be greatly appreciated here!!

Thanks in Advance!!

:ragtop:

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Ok I have the new Multi Leaf Springs installed and now I have some questions.

The Mono leaf was only ½” thick and 2 ¼” wide. The new Multi leaf is 1” thick and 2 ½” wide. The spring perch is only 2 ½” wide so the questions are:

1) Will the springs fit into the perch on the axel with some modifications?
2) Will I need to replace the bolts in the spring perch with new longer ones?

Any information or help will be greatly appreciated here!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Who's springs did you buy?

·
Registered
798 Posts
When I did my mono to 3 leaf upgrade I eliminated the factory rubber isolators from the old setup and the new springs were a perfect fit into the old perch.I put a 1/4" thick piece of heavy rubber belting on top of the spring to lower it a bit and make up for the difference in the spring radius compared to the pocket radius at the top of the perch to insure they would sit flat.The plate on the bottom pulled up to within a 1/4" of the perch and once I ran it tight it was pretty close to flush so I didn't install any spacers.As mentioned,ditch the factory bolts and go to U bolts for strength regardless of how you make the springs fit.If your springs will slip inside the perch without binding I would install them but like myself you will probably need some sort of spacer on top depending on the difference in profiles of the springs you have and the inside of the perch or they won't sit flat and/or bind where they seat.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information.

Some more questions:

1) Where would I find the u-bolts?
2) Since the multi leaf spirng pack is 2 1/2" wide and the axle perch is 2 1/2" wide would it be acceptable to grind the spring pack in order for it to fit? The old mono leaf was tapered to 2 1/4" at the spring perch.
3) Do the springs need rubber on all four sides inside the spring perch?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
:D
Thanks for the information.

Some more questions:

1) Where would I find the u-bolts?
2) Since the multi leaf spirng pack is 2 1/2" wide and the axle perch is 2 1/2" wide would it be acceptable to grind the spring pack in order for it to fit? The old mono leaf was tapered to 2 1/4" at the spring perch.
3) Do the springs need rubber on all four sides inside the spring perch?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Q1 - most any parts store - theya re normally 1/2" - which means you will need to drill out the holes in the perch - not a big deal.
Q2 - if they will fit without grinding - I'd go that route - better to keep more material - in any event I would not grind the springs - maybe a little filing on the perch and the spring by hand - (less heat)
Q3 - nope - I run mine with top and bottom and know of several people who do not run them at all..

Keep i mind I am nto a professional and what I offer is from my experience...

·
Registered
798 Posts
A lot of vehicles only have a thin plastic shim or nothing between the diff pad and the springs never mind on 4 sides so don't worry about that.If you can't find what you need in pre-made U bolts they can also be fabricated for cheap in any size you want at a spring shop (I think the factory bolts are 7/16 but 1/2" is an easy upgrade).I wouldn't grind the springs but if you just need a little space to get the spring stack in position,the perch is the place to get the clearance you need.Might even just be some rust scale preventing them from dropping in.If you only need a 1/16" or so on each side it would be easy to get that without affecting the strength of the diff mount.The U bolts make the strength of the perch less critical anyway.The other advantage of the multi leaf is the ability to adjust ride height with re-arcing.It will probably change with the new springs.My car actually dropped close to 2" with some new Eagle springs,opposite of what I expected,so had to have them adjusted.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. N ow for more questions:

1) If I go the U-bolt route would these be going over the top of the axle and thru the perch plates?

2) Could I knock out the current bolts and use longer regular grade 8 bolts?

3) It would be acceptable to use rubber shims on the top along with the rubber locating shim on the bottom and have the springs and perch making contact on the sides?

Thanks again for your answers!!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thanks for the information. N ow for more questions:

1) If I go the U-bolt route would these be going over the top of the axle and thru the perch plates?

2) Could I knock out the current bolts and use longer regular grade 8 bolts?

3) It would be acceptable to use rubber shims on the top along with the rubber locating shim on the bottom and have the springs and perch making contact on the sides?

Thanks again for your answers!!

Q1 - Over the top of the axle / through the perch and the lower mounting plate under the leafs.
Q2- I would not use grade 8 - the stock bolts have a special head that has a spline and is oblong - the grade 8 that would fit would be way too small...
Q3 - yup - at least that is how I have mine :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Make sure whatever locator pin is on the bottom of your multi springs is a tight fit in the plates and long enough to go through that rubber pad and engage the plate completely.Mine only had a 5/16" bolt through the 3 leafs with a regular nut on the bottom.This would be borderline for depth if there was a rubber spacer in there.I replaced the regular nut with a long coupler style nut to be safe which also made locating the diff back on the springs easier because you could get it in the plate and jiggle the diff around with things fairly loose.I have Caltrac plates which make seeing that hole a pain from underneath due to some extra bracketry so the longer nuts really helped.You'll understand what I mean when you get to that point.If the pin doesn't go all the way through that plate you run the risk of the diff sliding forward or rearward on the spring.For what it costs definately get the U bolts.That ties the axle tube directly to the plate otherwise you are counting on the perch to axle tube welds on their own to keep the diff where it belongs.Under the car!Real cheap insurance whether you decide to build some extra HP or not.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information. :yes:

Since I will not be able to work in the garage for a few days. Is there any other information out there in SNS land?

Thanks!! :yes:

·
Registered
929 Posts
About ten years ago i change my broken monos for some multi leafs from The Paddoc (now classic industries). I now that mine is a different year than yours, and mine are 5 leafs, even if i didnt keep the rubber pads in there, there was still a large gap between plates that i myself was uncomfortable with, cause when i tighten the u-bolts down the plates started to bend. so i made some spacer blocks at work and kept the rubber in there. just made them out of alluminum, and sprayed them with undercaoting so they didnt stand out..

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About ten years ago i change my broken monos for some multi leafs from The Paddoc (now classic industries). I now that mine is a different year than yours, and mine are 5 leafs, even if i didnt keep the rubber pads in there, there was still a large gap between plates that i myself was uncomfortable with, cause when i tighten the u-bolts down the plates started to bend. so i made some spacer blocks at work and kept the rubber in there. just made them out of alluminum, and sprayed them with undercaoting so they didnt stand out..

Very Nice!! That picture is worth 1000 words!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Very Nice!! That picture is worth 1000 words!! Thanks!!

Thought so, no problem. you can come visit me in the hospital when it turns into pneumonia. lol, everything is covered in ice here now. stuck my phone under the car and took a few before i got the shot i thought would best suit. lol.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought so, no problem. you can come visit me in the hospital when it turns into pneumonia. lol, everything is covered in ice here now. stuck my phone under the car and took a few before i got the shot i thought would best suit. lol.
Thank you very much for your time and effort!! I hope you don't get sick, but if you do, get well soon!

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:woot: Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!! :woot:

Today I got the rear end to fit onto the springs. All it took was a little grinding off of the 50 years of rust on the inside of the perch. Now with the extra width of the spring pack I'm going to machine some spacers and get some u-bolts to hold it all together.

Thanks for the help from the SNS gang!!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got some free time and went to the spring shop for the u-bolts. After a little work the rear end is back together and the Nova is on the ground. The best news is that I gained 2" with the new multi-leafs over the worn out 50 year old mono leafs!! :woot:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts