Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a posi rear end with a more torquey gear ratio. i have the stock open 3.08 rear end that came on the car in 73. so it is summer and i want to make this happen but i cant decide how to go about this without more info.

1. how difficult would it be for a relative novice to install a posi unit and new gear set?
2. in general is it a bad idea to buy a used posi unit? i know these things go bad but how long does it take and are there any tell tail signs?
3. this is a street car with a mild 350 and a 4 speed, with price in mind which unit would be best for me?
4. if i put a unit in what would i have to replace in my rear end?

thanks

·
4,539 Posts
Where you at in Ca? There are several posi units to choose from and some are not rebuildable so you have to be careful not to get one that style that is worn out. Yes a novice can install gears & posi's but you will need to have access to some tools you may not have (i.e. press, dial indicator, bearing drivers, dial calipers or micrometer, inch lb. torque wrench etc). Also lots of time to shim it. Most people who set them up themselves try to rush it and end up ruining things by trying to drive it not set up right.

Miles:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts