Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys can you tell me if this posting is accurate? The guy wants 18K for this car - "says it's COPO, and there weren't any true V8 1964 novas only ss and some were copo". I have a 1964 sport coupe, it says its a v8 car- so he's already wrong there.. Please let me know if I'm wrong here. I've already looked in the VIN area, but i think this guy is full of it.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/3132403811.html

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
$18K now reduced to $10K. Yep, there's your first sign.

Base what you are willing to pay only by what you see, in person.
What is there is all that matters. It's cool if it is a real COPO, but to me that just isn't that big a deal money wise.

If it isn't drivable right now, then $10K is way too high.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
maybe he's trying to say it was a dealer installed V8... although V8's were available in '64. they installed V8's in '63 as a dealer installed option.

paperwork would show if it was a 'dealer installed' V8, no paperwork, no COPO.

and by the way, COPO means Central Office Production Order... there were no COPO ChevyII's... there were in the late '60's/70's (3rd Genners BBC installations)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There ya go. I didn't even think of that. Good info Johnny.

·
13,702 Posts
COPO means Central Office Production Order... there were no COPO ChevyII's... there were in the late '60's/70's (3rd Genners BBC installations)
The Central Office Production Order system was initially setup for fleet ordering...taxis, law enforcement, government fleets, etc. In the latter part of the 60's, dealers like Yenko, Gibb and others realized they could use the COPO system to order 'fleets' of specifically equipped muscle cars. As I understand it, there had to be a minimum number of cars in each order to qualify as a COPO purchase.

This guy with this '64 is blowing smoke when he says it's a COPO. At best it's a customer ordered car through a dealer, which were not COPOs. Also, V/8 engines were available for any model of Chevy II in 1964, not just SS cars. The seller also says it has all the original trim on it. I don't see any fender peak trim, rocker mouldings or rear wheel trim. He's still dreaming at $10,000!

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts