Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am undertaking a brake upgrade on my 65 Nova... using local discs and calipers.

Currently running Chevelle brakes on what I think to be a stock spindle.

I am required to revert to a drum brake hub.

Can this be done? or do I need to source a stock spindle and hub setup?

This will be challenging in Australia, given the lack of availability of parts.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Steve,
The only difference between the drum spindle and the disc brake spindle is the height of the boss at the top of the spindle. This is routinely machined down on the drum spindles to allow the caliper bracket to bolt on.
The drum hub will fit, either way.

You may need a spacer to make up the difference for the caliper bracket, but that should not be too hard to fabricate.
HTH

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
140 Posts
You Aussies have to put up with a lot of crap. The stock hub and the disc rotor's built in hub are virtually the same except the rotor came of a different car.

It's possible to have a disc brake setup that uses the stock drum brake hub and spindle using hat style rotors from a 79 Trans Am. However you can't use the Chevelle type caliper brackets as hot66 suggests, at least directly. The reason is the Chevelle type rotor moves the wheel mounting surface out over 1/2" compared to the stock hub setup with the TA rotor. Basically you need some custom caliper brackets. Maybe someone makes such a bracket. If so, I'd like to know about it so I could narrow the track width on mine, which would allow me to use a wider tire without rubbing the fenders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We sure do Rick!

Like you said... I am look to move to a hat style of rotor that also uses a twin piston PBR caliper.

There is a local mob that make a kit, that comes with rotors, calipers, brackets, hoses, hubs, bearings, etc.

I will be using a 300mm rotor as I would still like to run 15" rims.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
This is a 4th gen F body disc brake from 93-97. I’ve fitted my 15” steel wheels and all seems to clear fine. They are hat style rotors so that is a possible solution for an oem setup that could be made to work with the stock ChevyII drum spindle and hub assembly like what is being done with the later 98-02 F body disc setup. The 98-02 will not work with 15” wheels. The stock drum hub will probably need to be machined down to fit the hat properly.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts