Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cam that keeps my vacuum low, So I installed a Vacuum can, But it drains fast, works fine as long as im moving.
So now im trying to decide if i want to spend the money on a Hydroboost or a vacuum pump. Then i ran across some articles on Vacuum pumps from 84-86 celebritys,82 Caprice,82-85 Skylark and some other 80ies GM cars.
Very easy hook up and still in stock at most Auto parts stores. Im sure i can even find one at a pick-a-part even cheaper.
These units are smaller and look more factory original and easy to hide.
So what im really asking is! has anybody done this, and how did it work for you?
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/pump-tech-c.htm

http://www.evdl.org/pages/gmvac.html
Thanks Eric.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cadillac has had electric vacuum pumps for years,try 1985-86 "C" cars. Location is,right front fender by bumper.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I have a cam that keeps my vacuum low, So I installed a Vacuum can, But it drains fast, works fine as long as im moving.
So now im trying to decide if i want to spend the money on a Hydroboost or a vacuum pump. Then i ran across some articles on Vacuum pumps from 84-86 celebritys,82 Caprice,82-85 Skylark and some other 80ies GM cars.
Very easy hook up and still in stock at most Auto parts stores. Im sure i can even find one at a pick-a-part even cheaper.
These units are smaller and look more factory original and easy to hide.
So what im really asking is! has anybody done this, and how did it work for you?
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/pump-tech-c.htm

http://www.evdl.org/pages/gmvac.html
Thanks Eric.
My boss ran one on a 67 BB Chevelle, it did the job quite well.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess a trip to the local Pic-a-part is in order :yes: Ill pick up the pump,filter and wire harness, Looks easy to install and wire, All in one unit.
Cheaper than a $300.00 SSBC or CPP.
Cheaper than a $600.00 HydroBoost.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after spending a few hours at the local Pick-A-Part, "No Luck" could not find one, Not many 80ies cars there. Mostly mid 90ies cars, I did find a lot of air ride pumps on Caddies and buicks. :confused:
Eric

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
How big is your cam? My cam is 246 @ .050 and is a solid lifter cam, I have a 9" vacum booster with a remote tank and never have issues with vacum fade, 4 wheel disk brakes also.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Didn't you say you had the same cam I did? The Eddelbrock Performer RPM HYD. I have no issues with my power brakes. You sure your booster is not leaking?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cam I have is a Edlebrock;
Duration at 0.006" Lift: Intake: 308° Exhaust: 318°
Duration at 0.050" Lift: Intake: 234° Exhaust: 244°
Lift at Cam: Intake: 0.325" Exhaust: 0.340"
Lift at Valve: Intake: 0.488" Exhaust: 0.510"
Timing at 0.050" lift: Open Close
Intake: 10° BTDC 44° ABDC
Exhaust: 59° BBDC 5° ATDC
Centerlines: Lobe Separation - 112° Intake Centerline - 107°

Its not Radical, I still have vacuum at 1500 rpm and above, So as long as I'm driving I'm good, Its at stops and slow moving traffic, It drops to 10 Hg or if i hold my foot on the brake it drains.
My Vac can will build 25Hg vacuum. It just uses it very fast.
I have CPP front 11" disks and stock rear drum with a CPP proportion valve and stock Master cyl.
Its still drivable, just not as safe as i would like.
What I'm trying to do is beef up my brakes, along with going to bigger brakes in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts

Its not Radical, I still have vacuum at 1500 rpm and above, So as long as I'm driving I'm good, Its at stops and slow moving traffic, It drops to 10 Hg or if i hold my foot on the brake it drains.
I have CPP front 11" disks and stock rear drum with a CPP proportion valve and stock Master cyl.
What I'm trying to do is beef up my brakes, along with going to bigger brakes in the future.
That cam was in my last motor and I had no issues, I can sit with my foot on the brake for at leats 10 min without issues. You may want to check and be sure your booster aint bad.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

hi, just curious, do you have a video of your car idling with this edelbrock cam in the car? thanks

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry BigDaddy, No Video.
How do you check to see if your booster is bad?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Most likely you do have an issue with a leak somewhere. But if not, Evils 65 used to run he's mechanical fuel pump for vacuum to the brake booster and it worked really well. That's if your running an electric fuel pump of course.

·
3,875 Posts
I have a nearly identical Lunati cam and 10-11" the vacuum I have at idle normally. I'm pretty sure you have a leak. Get a vacuum pump and test it with the engine off to see how long it holds. You could also have a booster leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts