Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the transmission humps identical on manual and automatic 67 Novas except for the offset “box” to house the shifter? I am pretty sure that my 67 was an auto from the factory and was changed. I ask because I am installing a Tremec TKO 5 speed and want to know if my trans tunnel kit will fit correctly or need adjustment?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Vendor
1,721 Posts
The shifter "humps" are different manual vs. auto, the tunnel is the same. On the assembly line they would crudely cut out the hole for the shifter and then attach the pertinent shifter hump.

Reactions: bbqrat

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My manual shifter hump is made out of plastic. Pretty sure added on.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Factory shifter humps are steel and should have been welded to the floors of 64 and up cars. 63’s were screwed to the floor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also , be prepared to do extensive modifications to the entire tunnel area for your tremec Contrary to popular beliefs , this is not a plug and play set up .
What I recommend is to not use the tremec metal fab tunnel that comes with most kits. What I did was take the old tunnel area , cut out and add 2 inch strip on both passenger and driver side as well as rear area for the drive line clearance. Do not cut the top by the bell housing , just lift it up and add the two in strips , butt welded.
I had a two inch offset for the shifter so I could retain my stock 4 speed look but just raised the original floor two inches. It looks Bitchin and hard for people to know what i did other than the 5 speed knob on top.
Also modern drive line is the only way to go , they have the best customer support and you can send pics or videos when trouble shooting stuff.
I have done several 66 and 67 and the best way to fab the tunnel is what I have described here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One more thing , of coarse as you get closer to the front of the hump by the bell housing area , it will taper a bit down to almost zero. Use cardboard cut outs first , get the shape right and then cut your 18 gauge etc and weld in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts