Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking to spruce up my motor and found some old Cal custom finned covers but they do not have the breather holes.

How did they get away with that years ago?

I don't mind the breathers and actually saw some that fit on the end by the firewall but do not think 1st gens have the room for that? Any help you can give would be great! Thanks,

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
So I have been looking to spruce up my motor and found some old Cal custom finned covers but they do not have the breather holes.

How did they get away with that years ago?

I don't mind the breathers and actually saw some that fit on the end by the firewall but do not think 1st gens have the room for that? Any help you can give would be great! Thanks,

Jimmy
road draft tube

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny I am looking through some pics posted a few minutes ago and this one popped up. How did he do that, breather on the filler tube and the road tube possibly?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Question regarding VC Breathers?

Hey Now he did that with a PCV that you can't see. In the early days when emission controls started they were closed systems that had to create vacuum at the oil filler tube when the oil filler cap was removed. Works really good if the PCV was matched to crank case pressure. It also required carbs to be adjusted with out any vacuum leaks and usually a leaner setting at the carb was needed so the car would idle and cruise on the road. The PCV system usually created richer conditions when the engine was due to minor blowby and all the excess gas that entered the crank case and was drawn up into the engine. As a note this actually worked better than the old draft tube at keeping the inside of your engine clean. PCV worked all the time at idle or cruise. The draft tube usually only worked above 35 MPH to excavate the crank case. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

1 - 7 of 7 Posts