Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been thinking of making the move from Utah to Texas in the next few years and I have some questions about how the weather is on your cars. We have been looking all over TX and our first choice is Corpus Christi, I'm assuming that it will be hell on my Nova having the salty weather down there. Our two other choices are either San Antonio, or the Dallas area. My real question is what are you doing to prevent the rust on your classics? I plan on having my restoration completed before I move so I shouldn’t have to worry so much about flash rust on bare sheet metal, I’m mainly concerned about what will happen long term. If it’s as bad down by the ocean as I’ve heard then I would consider going further north to keep the car safe. Anyway, I appreciate your time and input.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i feel like san antonio has a better scene for classics than corpus. there isnt much to do in corpus honestly.

dallas is alright too, a bit more wide open than san antonio…but dallas gets a lot of weather. rain, snow(sometimes) AND heat.

i'd say check out the wimberley area, its a small and quiet town between Austin, and san antonio. about 30 minutes between each.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
i feel like san antonio has a better scene for classics than corpus. there isnt much to do in corpus honestly.

dallas is alright too, a bit more wide open than san antonio…but dallas gets a lot of weather. rain, snow(sometimes) AND heat.

i'd say check out the wimberley area, its a small and quiet town between Austin, and san antonio. about 30 minutes between each.
Ditto that, stay away from the coast, not to mention the occasional Hurricane and flooding. The whole area around San Antonio is beautiful. The Hill country (as we call it) is a nice place, very scenic. You have Austin, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Fredricksburg just to name a few..much to do..Sea World, Schlitterbahn, and Fredricksburg is know as the Antique Capitol of the US...etc....

Definitley a kitchen pass for you there if you take the wife "antiqueing" one week end.......never met a woman that didn't like antiques... :D

T,

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I have friends in the Austin (and San Antonio) area. Having visited Austin once, I was very impressed.

Car shows and swap meets are pretty common in that area.

http://www.carshownews.com/national/TX.htm

I think formula one racing is also coming to that area.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/9/11198.html

Lou, Arkansas

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like it would be the perfect location, I have friends moving to Austin, and my best chance at finding work (at least as far as I've been able to research) is at Randolph AFB, I work for the air force as a civilian right now so my best chance at an internal transfer is sticking to what I already know. My wife is all about the antique and vintage stuff right now too so I have to be careful, I can't let her have take too much out of the Nova fund :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm a third generation Austinite. Out of those 3, id pick SA. CORPUS would be very low on my list of cities. At least from SA you can get to Austin and Corpus pretty fast. But I think you'll be spending a lot of weekends in Austin :D
There is litterally a car show or meet up every single weekend here. Most of the time, there are multiple events on the same day. My parents were in san antonio for 15 years, step dad was military. Its a pretty cool place too. But there's my 2 cents.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ditto that, stay away from the coast, not to mention the occasional Hurricane and flooding. The whole area around San Antonio is beautiful. The Hill country (as we call it) is a nice place, very scenic. You have Austin, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Fredricksburg just to name a few..much to do..Sea World, Schlitterbahn, and Fredricksburg is know as the Antique Capitol of the US...etc....

Definitley a kitchen pass for you there if you take the wife "antiqueing" one week end.......never met a woman that didn't like antiques... :D

T,
hey, i like antiques. what do you think my car is?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
If you dont mid seasonal Hurricanes, Come on down to the Gulf Coast :cool:

The climate and humidity is usually higher .

You really dont get any cold winters... just freezing of pipes n frost at times..

Its something a person can get used to, but it takes time :yes:

Like at the moment, they have some awesome weather here in the New Orleans area :cool: but the summers are a killer :(

If it was me, I would stay a bit away from the coast.

But just close enough to drive and enjoy it :yes:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Ditto again on the San Antonio area. My son is a high school coach there and the car scene is trully great,[ he has a 6 sp 2002 SLP SS with a large turbo and lots of mods that runs 10.80`s street legal and looks stock]. As stated about the small towns in the area they travel up to those areas often for car events also. Now about La. I can also say that not a bad option,but I live in the northern part of the state but can be at the Gulf coast easily in a few hours. Peace Dale

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
The Texas "hill country" is the place to be. Great driving, cruse spots, and the best people in the country. :yes: I lived in San Diego for 18 years and I love New Braunfels where I live much more than California. Not only do we have incredible hill country driving, we have awsume rivers, lakes, one of the best live music scenes in the U.S., and the coast is just a few hours away. The beach in Texas is not the place to live but a good place to spend the weekend, the hill county is the place to live.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iv done car shopping in both sanantonio and corpus and most cars I come across from corpus have significant rust problems I bought my nova from San Antonio and had very little rust

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Having lived in and around Austin for almost 50 years, I can tell you, if you must work at Randolph (I think it's the only base left out of the 4 there were), I would strongly recommend living North of it, like New Braunfels, or up 281 towards Boerne, Blanco, Canyon Lake, Kerrville. Just look around on a map.

You do not want to live IN San Antonio! But it does have tons of fast cars and bikes, and the nearest drag strip (IHRA) is on I-10 East near Marion/Seguin. But you definitely want to live outside the major urban area of SA. I would have to say, Austin and the immediate area has the most car shows and events of anywhere. There is literally something every weekend, and multiple weekly Saturday night meets.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what our plan has been, to stay north east of SA. I heard it's a nightmare trying to commute through the city. Our plan was to head that way in a few years but I keep reading more about the area and it makes me want to move sooner, well and winter is almost here in Utah and I'm not really a fan of being cold.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where are all these Austin events on the weekends? I tried going to a couple and it was mainly ricers and about half a dozen classic cars if that. :confused:

·
Registered
550 Posts
You must have gone to cedar park!:D
Every Saturday at cabellas parking lot in buda. From 7-9ish

This past weekend there was the gear heads show at cabellas and another show at a church.
First sunday of every month there is a big one in leander. Leander cars and coffee. If I find the website when I get home, ill post it here or pm you it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts