Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am allegic to Epoxy :eek: so using an Epoxy primer is out. Is there a primer I can use on bare metal other that an etch primer? I am blasting my subframe and want to put a primer on the bare metal and then spry chassis black.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Have someone else do it.
i agree.not trying to be a smartass,but the epoxy is the best chance you have of preserving that freshly exposed metal and epoxy loves a good mechanical bond(sanded or blasted substrate).
find a buddy that"owes you one" and have him do it.there are also paints that can be applied "wet on wet" over the epoxy primer and that should seal in the epoxy,preventing you from an allergic flair-up and completing the job at the same time with the paint too.
good luck,
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup, Epoxy or etch are your only options. And etching primer is nasty and not somthing you want to be breathing either. I would also find someone to epoxy it for you.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man.... That means I have to part with some of my well earned beer :rolleyes:

I had someone tell me that there were some hardner activated urethane primers out there that might fit my bill. Any possibilities :confused:

I would love to be able to do it myself, That way when I mess up I can yell at myself. :D

·
5,134 Posts
Man.... That means I have to part with some of my well earned beer :rolleyes:

I had someone tell me that there were some hardner activated urethane primers out there that might fit my bill. Any possibilities :confused:

I would love to be able to do it myself, That way when I mess up I can yell at myself. :D

Urethane primers are not as good for corrosion resistance as an epoxy or etch. They are for filling. You can use most of them over bare metal but you are sacrificing some quality.
There are some specific DTM (direct to metal) primer-surfacers available, but they are still not as good as epoxy or etch on bare metal. It may be a sacrifice you have to make because of your sensitivity.
If you are epoxy sensitve you may also be isocyanate sensitive. Hardeners are iso's. All these need proper breathing protection.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I would get someone to paint it if your are sensitive to epoxy. Just exactly what part of epoxy are you sensitive to? The cured product? Or the solvents involved?

I painted my car with epoxy and 2k high build primer. The epoxy I used does not have any ISOs in it but the 2k HB primer does. So I bought a full hood, fresh air breather mainly for the ISO. It can attack membranes such as eyes and ears so a full hood was my choice. Some folks say they paint ISO paint with just a good canister mask and dont have problems. So me all wrapped up in my tyvek suit and hood prolly looks pretty lame to the professional painter but it gave me a piece of mind. And if you are sensitive to the cured epoxy, like sanding dust FYI, I never sanded any of the epoxy. Its not meant to be sanded if you are still in the re-coat window. JR

·
Registered
566 Posts
the tyvex suit, fresh air hood, and adequate ventilation should be enough to sidestep your allergies. Unless you are like.. lethally alergic... and to what? the fumes, or the cured product?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not for certain what part of automotive epoxy primers I am or could be allergic to.
20 years ago I painted a radio controlled jet airplane with a new paint out at that time called K&B Epoxy paint. I used a hardware store breathing mask. I went to sleep that night and when I woke up in the morning my face and neck were beat red and swelled up so bad I could not see. There was no definition between my neck and head :eek: , it was all the same size. My skin burned like He*#. Since then I have tried not to use anything that had the word epoxy in it.
For years I designed and built remotely piloted composite jet powered aircraft and the adhesives we had to use to meet the specs were two part epoxy glues form companies like DuPont, etc. The fumes from the two part Epoxy glue used would start my face skin tingling and I know I have to get out of there quick. If I sand cured epoxy glues the dust gets on my skin and the area between my fingers starts to tingle. If I wear gloves and wash my hands and arms alot I can get away with it for a while.
Being that that was 20 years ago, with technology, EPA restrictions and who knows what else, the new epoxy automotive paints could be completely different. I guess I will have to do a test and see if I become a giant red ball from the shoulders up again.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I am not for certain what part of automotive epoxy primers I am or could be allergic to.
20 years ago I painted a radio controlled jet airplane with a new paint out at that time called K&B Epoxy paint. I used a hardware store breathing mask. I went to sleep that night and when I woke up in the morning my face and neck were beat red and swelled up so bad I could not see. There was no definition between my neck and head :eek: , it was all the same size. My skin burned like He*#. Since then I have tried not to use anything that had the word epoxy in it.
For years I designed and built remotely piloted composite jet powered aircraft and the adhesives we had to use to meet the specs were two part epoxy glues form companies like DuPont, etc. The fumes from the two part Epoxy glue used would start my face skin tingling and I know I have to get out of there quick. If I sand cured epoxy glues the dust gets on my skin and the area between my fingers starts to tingle. If I wear gloves and wash my hands and arms alot I can get away with it for a while.
Being that that was 20 years ago, with technology, EPA restrictions and who knows what else, the new epoxy automotive paints could be completely different. I guess I will have to do a test and see if I become a giant red ball from the shoulders up again.
atta boy!!!!!!!
look at it this way.........even if you're horribly disfigured by the primer,the car will look so good when completed that you'll still draw the ladies like flies to honey:D:D:D:rolleyes:
seriously though......there's no harm in asking a buddy to help or even paying someone to assist you for a segment of your build if it's making you sick.life's too short to suffer needlessly.:yes:
leftcoast carl.

·
5,134 Posts
I would get someone to paint it if your are sensitive to epoxy. Just exactly what part of epoxy are you sensitive to? The cured product? Or the solvents involved?

I painted my car with epoxy and 2k high build primer. The epoxy I used does not have any ISOs in it but the 2k HB primer does. So I bought a full hood, fresh air breather mainly for the ISO. It can attack membranes such as eyes and ears so a full hood was my choice. Some folks say they paint ISO paint with just a good canister mask and dont have problems. So me all wrapped up in my tyvek suit and hood prolly looks pretty lame to the professional painter but it gave me a piece of mind. And if you are sensitive to the cured epoxy, like sanding dust FYI, I never sanded any of the epoxy. Its not meant to be sanded if you are still in the re-coat window. JR
The nature of Iso's is that they build up in the body and never go away. Every person has a different tolerance level and the only way to find out what the level is it to exceed it..then you're screwed.
Years ago we never protected ourselves like we do now, some painters are having health problems because of it. I have recently gotten nose bleads if I am exposed to iso's.
I was very worried before having kids because iso's can cause birth defects. Thankfully all is fine with my two kids.
We are smarter now and wear the Tyvek type suits with supplied air breathing systems and nitrile gloves. It just doesn't make sense to have a person expose themselves to iso's and find out they have little or no tolerance. I had a student last week say "gloves are for sissies" when he was mixing paint....we had a little discussion, he'll probably wear gloves in class now too!
The point is there needs to be an attitude change about safety with these chemicals. Some don't "get it" like you do.
You do not look lame to this professional, you look very wise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts