Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't had a chance to do much on my car, but today I decided to pull the windshield off. I never really paid attention before today, but all of sudden I looked at the VIN number and got this 'oh oh' feeling in my stomach. I have two rivets where I'm assuming a VIN plate should be and then right in front of it is another VIN. I checked my insurance papers and the VIN that is on the dash is the one on my insurance papers, but I still have this bad feeling. Also, I tried decoding the VIN and the first number threw me. I thought the first number was supposed to be the year. My first number is a 7 but the car is a 68. Unless it was built in late 67 so they put a 7. So basically two questions: does this look right and can someone decode the VIN for me. Thanks in advance.

I know it's a little small, but the VIN is 713278W343851

Here's a pic of the body tag..not sure if it helps or not

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
http://www.novaresource.org/v68.htm

I think you're OK.

7 = division = Canada? (1=chevrolet)
13 = Nova/Chevy II, 6 cyl
27 = 2 door sedan
8 = 1968
W = Willow Run
343851 = sequence number
I just posted and deleted that. Seems that in some years the leading digit is in fact the year. Maybe not for "3rd gens" though.

scherp69, you can contact GM VVS in Oshawa and they can probably help you.

·
13,815 Posts
The '7' is the Acadian designator, not the year. Up to and including 1967, when these cars were built in Canada, the first digit was the year designator. Beginning in 1968 they followed the U.S. VIN format with the year designator in the middle after the model number.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Those two rivets are holding your VIN plate in place. If you crawl under the dash and look, the VIN plate is that big, it reaches all the way back to thise two rivets, and the part you see is raised to fit thru an opening cut into the metal dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts