Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take it off I was wondering if the tailgate crank is rebuildable.
Put new springs in it so it doesn't flop down all the time, just
clean it up and make it like new..

any advise or help on this?
otherwise I will need to start looking for another one!

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
788 Posts
Over many years I found the only solution to the manual crank window was to replace with electric because the only replacement for the cast broken parts was expensive or not available. And this is from the perspective of a guy who used my wagon as a service vehicle in appliance repair.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
there was a post here a few weeks back about a tail gate crank for sale. it was missing the small handle knob an was really pricey. i tried to find the post but come up empty. might have been a post with a link to an ebay sale. so i'll say clean up the one you have. good luck on your handle.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a post here a few weeks back about a tail gate crank for sale. it was missing the small handle knob an was really pricey. i tried to find the post but come up empty. might have been a post with a link to an ebay sale. so i'll say clean up the one you have. good luck on your handle.
I saw that one wasn't it around $400 and busted all up? No thanks! I'll keep the droopy one I have now! lol

Thanks I have found one for $125...

Mark

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sorry, the previous link seemd to not work. Try this one https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322289
. If not, here is what it says, "Wagon Manual Tailgate Window Crank Fix
I corresponded with Novajoe (Thanks for the help!) and he mentioned about making the spring myself. After searching some more, I found a reference to Ace Hardware, so I made the trip.Here are the parts that I bought from ACE hardware to make the spring:
1- #8 compression spring - 2"x7/16" +11/16"x.047. This spring is coned narrow on each end. I cut off about 3 or 4 coils from one end to make the spring. The number of coils that you use will affect the spring tension.
2- 7/16" and 1/2" retainer ring clip to hold the spring on. I forget which one worked best.
3- A washer that fits over the stud. I used this between the spring and the retainer clip because the tip of the spring popped the clip off (which then disappeared!) when I rolled the window back up. The washer puts a barrier between the srping and the retainer clip.

Total cost was less than a dollar and it works great!"

These are pics of the back of the knob. Hope these help.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts