Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my car with a guy who is doing my body work and paint. He has alot of experience and just quit a top notch paint & body shop needing money so he took on my car. The body coming along pretty good but slow with the typical rust around the windshield trim and back window trim due to an old and long gone vinyl top. He is patching both quarters and one fender it is all torn apart and in pieces... Anyway. I'm going cyber gray metallic with black racing stripes. Now i know that my nova never was made with stripes but i know Chevy has a certain way they did their stripes. For the life of me i have searched for hours and hours i cant find the dimensions or a good way to layout the stripes i want them to be as if Chevy had put them on my car... can anyone please please help me guide me in the right direction... I cant believe something like this is not described in detail somewhere. the tires are flat cuz dudes short so he could reach the roof

·
Registered
242 Posts
Are you referring to the Z28 style stripes? If so you will see a wide variety of those on 3rd gen Nova's.

My daughter also wants those on her '71. It seems as though almost everyone uses different measurements for laying out the stripes. You have two choices the way I see it; you either spend some time and lay them out yourself until you get what you like or you see a car that has exactly what you want and you copy it. That is, if you can see it in person or get the measurements from the owner.

Maybe if you ask real nice you can get everybody with Z28 style stripes to post up some pics, I would love that as well!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont know ive seen some that have a pinstripe that surrounds the main stripes it is curved on the outside and makes a 90* when it comes towards the center hard to explain but i just dont know how wide looks good

can anyone give the some mesurements on how wide they are and if they are on the cowl plate and the trunk window plate thing

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I think your referring to 70-72 Chevelle SS stripes.....Check the
SS396.com website for stencils or decals.:)

Chuck

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Personally, I do not like "SS" stripes on Novas. I just don't think they fit.

However, there are 2 styles of SS stripes, 1st gen Camaro and Chevelle. 1st gen Camaro stripes wrap around the ends of the car and stop before the front and rear windows. Chevelle stripes stop before the ends of the car and continue all the way up to the front and rear windows. 1st gen Camaro stripes are further apart while Chevelle stripes are closer together. Early 2nd gen Camaros had SS stripes like the Chevelle. See below:

1st gen Camaro:

Chevelle:

Stencils of each can be purchased here:
http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
And that's okay. :D

If we all liked the same things, we'd all have a bunch of "cookie cutter" cars. I don't, however, plan on stripes on my wagon. To me, it doesn't work as well on a first gen.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts

However, there are 2 styles of SS stripes, 1st gen Camaro and Chevelle. 1st gen Camaro stripes wrap around the ends of the car and stop before the front and rear windows. Chevelle stripes stop before the ends of the car and continue all the way up to the front and rear windows. 1st gen Camaro stripes are further apart while Chevelle stripes are closer together. Early 2nd gen Camaros had SS stripes like the Chevelle. See below:

Chevelle:

Stencils of each can be purchased here:
http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/

Funny:) Those Chevelle SS stripes never came on the 68 or 69 shown. Only
availble on the 70-72.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Most likely enough guys wanted them, right or wrong:D
What ever floats your boat.

Chuck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks every body i went and picked out the colors with my paint guy it totaled up to $620 for a gal of gunmetal pearl and a gallon of black and gal of clear and all the other chemicals needed reducers and catalysts and junk i bought 1 ounce of purple pearl for the stripes and the tape for the stripes im going 1/2 inch pinstrip and 1/2 inch gap im guesse like 11 inches will look good for strip width we will see should be done bhy the time i get back from europe on my vacation

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well we were in the shop and i was holding 1/4 inch vs 1/2 inch and for like 20 min i could not decide and finally went with 1/2

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
maybe this'll help, 1/4" stripes with 1/4" gap.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
yhea those are exactly what i want what is the width of the inner stripes like 10"?
just had measure up,
the black area down the centre of the hood= 7",
gold stripe width including the 1/4" pinline= 11.25".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well my body guy tried to lay out the stripes but he feels he cant get them straight enough so im going to order the stincels i found some that look good for like 70 bucks after shipping im going to call and see how wide they are.

My car is actually coming together i bought all the paint last night for him to use it was $660 for everything gunmetal pearl with the black stripes and transtar clear

1 - 20 of 37 Posts