Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up these heads from a buddy who had them on his 383 ci..Any idea if there any good or worth something ? Only numbers i could find on them are ...3782461 and then under that number is C165 on one and the other is C155...Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i found the info i wanted to know ????

So there going up for sale !!!!! :yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
According to WWW.MORTEC.COM the head you listed is a

3782461....64-66...327......Camel hump, no accessory holes, intake runner160cc/62cc exhaust port, 62cc chamber..

C165 = March, 16th, 1965
C155 = March 15th, 1965

Decent head for the average street runner... has more worth for the circle trackers..... not considered a competition head anymore.. was once highly sought after....(aka) fullie head.....

worth plenty to a restorer doing a date correct build... but ya have to find the right guy...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
are they stock ??

are they stock , or have they already had screw in studs put in 'em , cut for big valves , cut for bigger springs , had bronze guides put in 'em , hardened seats installed ,,,, the list goes on ,,,, machining and labor to 'em is the downside ,, where you can get RHS pro-torker , or dart 180's bare that are better for about what people want for those heads and they still need a bunch of work done to them to match whats out there now ready when you get them. Then you gotta wait to get all of that work done to those thats another PITA ,,

not that i haven't saw some pretty fast cars for the amount of money they spent on them that used those heads ,, its just easier to go new

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have had alot of work done to them. Screw in studs i think they are 7/16 ? Also the valve springs are alot thicker than stock and they are like a dual spring with a spring inside of another. Also push rod guides that say Manley on them. Different valves and also some other work done to them.. They were on a really awesome 383 with a tunnel ram and two 600 Holley carbs..:yes::yes:

So if you had to put a value on them ? What would you say ? I know it kinda hard to put a price on them. But your best guess..

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
i wouldn't pay more than 500 bux for a set of double hump heads if they were dipped in gold. i wouldn't care whats been done to them
:D Depends how thick the gold plating is...but ya...too many advances in the aftermarket head to be worth the effort..but to a numbers guy...maybe.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i like them ,,

i like them because i've saw some cars with them just run better than they should , and out run some other cars with alot more money poured into 'em. But they are just getting old.

My engine builder pal says a ported set has a broader torque curve than a set of vortecs , but the vortecs will have a higher peak HP. He does alot of restricted 2 barrel circle track stuff.

I've saw some of them with 2.05 valves in them that did pretty decent.

A street car , or " just for fun, this isn't my life " type bracket car , they would do the job.

I remember a test comparring them to 034 bowties and dart 200's , the exhaust ported was almost as good as the bowtie and better than those darts.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts

I don't 'dislike' them...I've got these on my 331...bought them from a fella who put $800 into them. HE replaced them with some Eddys..he didn't go any faster.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
People tend to underestimate double hump heads. The biggest factor is if they were ported by somebody that really knows how to port double humps. A good majority of machine shops really dont know the proper way to port and blend double humps. If done right they can flat out scream.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
my friend ,,

my buddy just did a 434 thats restricted to a stock 500 rottenchester 2 barrel , it had ported 461's with 202's , chamber opened up to unshroud the valves some , it made 465 ftlbs of torque with that tiny carb using them. comp cam tight lash flat tappet cam with stock rockers ( lash caps included )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts