Chevy Nova Forum banner

Question about Non-Hatchback SS

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Green Dragon 
#1 ·
Almost every 73' SS I have seen is a hatchback. Who else on the site has a regular 73' SS. Also, did they make less non hatchbacks in 73?

#4 ·
Greetings,

The majority of 73's were actually non-hatchbacks...It's actually strange you say you've seen more hatchbacks than non-hatchbacks as the hatchback models are definitely harder to find.

Jason

#9 ·
I saw a very clean and original '73 SS coupe at the Barrie Automtive Flea Market in Barrie Ontario about 2 or 3 years back. It had original paint (Chamois) with matching all-vinyl bench seat interior, had factory white striping and the black rear panel, p/s power front disks, a 307 & TH350.

I also remember a new '73 in my hometown. I don't recall if it was a Custom or base, but it was Dark Blue metallic (as opposed to Midnight Blue)) with white striping, a 350-4barrel with factory duals, a 4-speed and I think a hatchback. Tires were Firestone Wide Ovals on 14x7 Rally Wheels.

#12 ·
Cam said:
I also remember a new '73 in my hometown. I don't recall if it was a Custom or base, but it was Dark Blue metallic (as opposed to Midnight Blue)) with white striping, a 350-4barrel with factory duals, a 4-speed and I think a hatchback. Tires were Firestone Wide Ovals on 14x7 Rally Wheels.
That's what mine is but it's a custom w/trunk.......you don't see too many of them around:D

#13 · (Edited)
Cam said:
I saw a very clean and original '73 SS coupe at the Barrie Automtive Flea Market in Barrie Ontario about 2 or 3 years back. It had original paint (Chamois) with matching all-vinyl bench seat interior, had factory white striping and the black rear panel, p/s power front disks, a 307 & TH350.
My old Nova was a 73' SS, 4 spd, 4.11 rear end with a 350. It was Dark Blue with white stripes and a white vinyl top. Interiror was Black with bucket seats. I'm still debating about getting it again..the roof has a big hump where the roof and rear quarter meet..:( . Also, it is rusting through where the bottom edge of the rear window sits. Someone didn't seal it correctly so it had lot's of years of leaking.

#14 ·
well, this was about SS cars,specifically, I think.. but here goes.

currently the only one I own is a 73 Nova Custom hatchabck with factory sliding sky-roof ( very rusty parts car, soon to be crushed).

however, my first ever Nova ( bought 1987) was a 1973 Nova Custom SS, 350 , 4 speed, F41, quick ratio steering, no console trunk car.
numbers matching car is still owned, in storage by my bro,awaiting a full blown restoration.

he does however, own two others - a 1973 Nova Custom trunk car,original california 350 2 bbl car.
and a 74 SS hatchback (also 350,4 speed, console,guages, but non original motor) <-- this one for sale if anyone is interested... * gotta do the plug,.lol*

and I agree, I've seen far less hatchback SS cars than trunk cars, would be very interesting if we knew the exact numbers of SS in each body style, but unsure if Chevrolet kept numbers that way, unlike Pontiac for the 74 GTO.
I do know 73 was second only to 1963 in total SS production, so quite a few survivors to estimate from, I think.

~ AL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.