Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed that both my headlights don’t work on low beam. But work when I hit the high beam switch. Also no dash lights. Tail lights work and turn signals. And license plate light works. Just low beams and dash lights. I have no clue why. Any ideas guys? Original wiring and all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I assume you checked the fuses?
The problem with the low beams could be the dimmer switch, grab a ohmmeter and see if both sides are working. center pin common, two sides are high and low.
The dash lights might be the headlight switch but also check if the dimmer pot in the switch is working, tried turning the headlight knob?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the switch. And twisted it as well thinking maybe the dash lights were dimmed. Nope. I checked the fuses. And all looked in tact. They are a bit corroded. I haven’t actually pulled the fuses. Maybe I need to clean the corroded round fuse receptacles. But I don’t get why the high beams work. And I didn’t see a fuse for the headlights when I was under there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have noticed that when twisting the headlight switch dimmer it feels really rough when twisting. Maybe it is the switch. My car has been sitting outside under a tarp for the past 20 years. And a lot of the pot metal chrome pieces got really corroded like the window cranks, the wind wing handles, the rear view mirror bracket, the coat hangers, and the visor brackets. I’ll have to look into that switch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The hot wire for the headlights comes out of the headlight switch, then goes to the high beam switch on the floor, it selects which set of lights to turn on. If the highs work then the high beam switch is probably the cause of the low beams not working or it could be the connector on the firewall for the harness going up front.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
shot in the dark

So I have noticed that both my headlights don’t work on low beam. But work when I hit the high beam switch. Also no dash lights. Tail lights work and turn signals. And license plate light works. Just low beams and dash lights. I have no clue why. Any ideas guys? Original wiring and all.
en route to vegas in my '63 convertible circa 1983 at 0200 ish I lost my headlights on the highway it imediately became pitch dark I was doing about 70 mph . I slowed down and used the soft gravel at the side of the highway to "guide " me to a safe stop , I only had a beeper for light . I tried to play it off because my girlfriend , now wife was kinda freaking out . after doing what I could with minimal light and just a few tools I realized that the highs were ok . I drove the rest of the way to Vegas on high beams . Ended up having a great trip . When I got home I discovered my problem was corrosion at the bulkhead connector . I cleaned off the connector and all was good. Within a week I added bosch relays to both low and high beam circuits to take the load off of the then 20 year old wiring. The week previous to the Vegas trip I had the engine and front suspension steam cleaned that is what I believe caused the corrosion in the first place. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it ! lol BTW I love that color that is my '63s original color I believe it is called sea foam green . Good looking car .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts