Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 12 bolt that needs backing plate repair. ( Mentioned in another thread). A previous owner had installed c clip eliminators. To pull the axle and backing plate Soni just unbolt the four bolts on the axle flange and pull? Do i even need to remove the diff cover??? Thanks in advance I appreciate the help,

·
Registered
221 Posts
Remove the 4 bolts and the axle will pull out without removing the cover.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Remove the 4 bolts and the axle will pull out without removing the cover.
No need to even pull the cover.
True...unless the guy who did the Eliminator install was a slight ding-dong, and put the c-clips in anyway, as "extra insurance".

I ran into that once, from a local general repair shop "certified"mechanic who thought he was a real high performance Guru.

Same "guru" also put the spiro-lox pin retainers in the pistons on a set in a 5.7" rod 406 SBC that could be run either pressed fit pins with no locks, or floating with locks,.... and he was running pressed pins....after about 700 miles and not running well for other reasons related to his work, it was tore down by me....the ends of the wrist pins were blue from friction heat where the pressed fit held wrist pin was trying to fight the spiro-locs for control of pin location, the locks were burnt black, and the ends of the pin bore were galled badly enough the pins would not slide out of the piston without a press.
More of his "extra insurance" policy.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts