Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP! How to re-wire new alternator plug!!

I upgraded my alternator to a 100 amp and now I have to change the plug that goes to it. The guy at the place where I bought it from told me how to wire it but I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to double check with you guys first. the old alternator had a two wire plug and this one came with a 4 wire plug that i need to make work. He said that the red wire is power and that the third one that is brown goes to light. And I have to eliminate the other two. Also want to know which one would be power from the original harness would it be the black wire or the white wire? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Now on to the unknown part it is right next to the carburetor and neither my buddy or I know what it is. We're thinking its the kill switch.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
6,517 Posts
Your mystery switch looks like what I've seen on some motorcycles to activate the rear brake light. Who knows what it is wired to now and you will have to trace down the wiring for anyone to give you more information.
It could have been wired to an electronic kick down solenoid in a tranny, could have been wired to an AC cutout switch, could have been wired to a nitrous system, could have been wired to anything.

As far as the alternator you need to find out the model number of the alternator and find out exactly what wires to what on the new plug and if anything can be used off of the old plug/harness. More info on the alternator is needed.

Jim

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What transmission are you running? The mystery switch looks like it could be a kick-down switch for the transmission.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I did some extensive research on the CS-130 alternator. The “L” terminal is the exciter wire and should have less than 12 volts or you can damage the alternator. The “S” terminal is for the remote voltage sensing feature. It can just loop back to the Batt. Stud or you can run it to a power distribution point of your choosing. I am running a volt meter and an LED warning light so my system is a little crazy.

That “unknown” switch it the factory style kick down switch for a turbo 400 transmission.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts