Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace my quarters in the very near future. I've never done this before but I have have done the floors in my 67 Camaro, so I'm sure I can do this. I'm going to buy the skins from a local place in Omaha for $91.00 a side. My big concern is the outer wheel house. No one is making these and lips on mine on both sides are pretty much gone, so there is nothing to weld to. What have you guys done to tackle this problem?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had the same problem. I cut and shaped lots of small patches for the lip of the wheel houses. It was a lot easier to make lots of little patches than one large one. It still took me a lot of time. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought outer wheelhouses for a 74 (I think they're available) and cut the patches out of them. They aren't the same as 75-79's but they would probably be close enough (with a little finessing) to cut patches out of. Other than that, your only other option would be wheelhouses from a donor car or NOS if you could find them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOVANUT77 said:
If I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought outer wheelhouses for a 74 (I think they're available) and cut the patches out of them. They aren't the same as 75-79's but they would probably be close enough (with a little finessing) to cut patches out of. Other than that, your only other option would be wheelhouses from a donor car or NOS if you could find them.
Thanks Novanut77! Buying the outer wheel houses from any earlier model is a great idea! You would have the basic shape of the lip and with a little fabrication and cutting I bet I could get them to work. I'm gonna check if Bumper & Auto sells them.

I wish the aftermarket would start making more parts for these cars! They are becoming more popular. My car is a rust bucket, but I always have people looking and asking about it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jade76, I appreciate the offer, but I already have a 75 in my back yard that I'm using for parts. The wheel houses are no good on my parts car too. The place I get my stuff from locally doesn't carry the wheel housings. I checked Classic and they list the outter wheel house for 68-74. I think the better thing to do is just order them, cut the lip off and fab it in there. The funny thing is that someone replaced the passenger side quarter on my parts car and they never welded to anything in the lip area because it was completely gone. That is something I don't want to do. I want it to be right.

Again, thanks for the offer! :beer:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress

I cut the drivers side quarter off and started to fabricate the repairs to the outer wheel house. I'll post some progress pictures to my cardomain site later tonight.
The inner wheel house is also bad at the front of the trunk drop off. It's going to be time consuming to fix for a body work rookie :awkward:

I did find after removing the trim around the back bumper, that my car had the gold SS stripe around the bottom. I'll be adding the stripe again when I get the car painted. :D

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi Dean-

I'd really like to see your progress but couldn't see the updates on Cardomain.

Had the same problem with my 78 but didn't like my poor a** sheetmetal repair. Then again, I was young and thought I could do everything. That was 15 years ago and, fortunately, no photos to share. :rolleyes:

Jay

PS: Hey Jade- I didn't know the outer wheelwells on the 4 doors are the same as 2 doors. Will the same go for the inner w/w's?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, I had to upload the pictures from work, so check the link now. I have more, but cardomain keeps giving me a server error. I also can not upload the pictures to the site at home for some reason. I don't know if it's my computer security settings or what.

Anyway, I tack welded the first part of the wheel house patch and made another, but didn't have time to tack it in last night. I'll keep updating the pictures as work progresses.

Using the 68-74 outer wheel house will work for anyone else who needs to do this. There is a very big difference where the bottom meets the trunk drop off, but once I start mocking the quarter up I will work on fitting it better.
There is a ton of metal work to do before I can tack the new quarter on.

·
Registered
569 Posts
looking good so far from the pics.

have you fit up the quarter to that yet ? to see if the part you used fits the wheel lip ok ?

I know the part where the trunk drop-off is, is much different because we went and compared an NOS 68-72 set to an NOS 75-70 set we have... bummer though, maybe someday we'll see repops.

On my own 76 Medalist we used the front fender lips ( from the rusted in corner fenders ) and cut and pieced the lips - as noted, little pieces were easier to fit than one large piece.

Another option ( which we might try on our 79 when / if we get to it ) is to cut the lips off a pair of 1/4 skins themselves ?
might tub the 79 since the wheelhouses are gone, so who knows. got my Medalist and new toy ( 78 Phoenix ) to work on first.

~ AL

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I fit the two together off the car and once I had the section tacked. The top of the 68-74 outer wheel house fits perfect across the top of the quarter. The trunk drop off area and the at the bottom of the rocker are the areas it does not fit. This section is going to need major work. The rocker area doesn't bother me cause I just need to cut the lip and about an inch off the new wheel house. There is not much damage on my car there so this section should be easy to fit since it's not a large section width wise to work with. It won't be exactly as it was from the factory, but at least it will be rust free. I'll post more pics at the site this week. I won't be able to work on it again until Wednesday. Got Fathers day stuff going on.

Happy Fathers day all you 4th genners!!! :D

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Looking good, Dean. Don't know what to recommend regarding the trunk drop-offs other than a trip to the southwest.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Novajay! Posted more pics to cardomain. I've had the quarter off and on several times to make sure the parts of the wheel well I fixed fit okay. So far no problems. I had to cut and fabricate the wrap around on the rocker. I have one more major section to fix, finish weld, then I'll start tacking the quarter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
quarter panels and wheel lips.

I had the same problem so I bought 2 sets of 1/4 panels and cut the lip off.its a perfect match.tack welded inside the wheelwell and plug welded the lip.you can run your hand all along and it feels like an original .or you could cut up the front fenders.there real close.

·
Registered
569 Posts
canova said:
I had the same problem so I bought 2 sets of 1/4 panels and cut the lip off.its a perfect match.tack welded inside the wheelwell and plug welded the lip.you can run your hand all along and it feels like an original .or you could cut up the front fenders.there real close.
interesting you;d mention that, since it's exactly what we did on the Medalist, is use the lips from the rusted front fenders to patch the outer wheelhouses.
came out fairly nice, but had to cut and piece the lips, will be ok once painted and some undercoating or simila shot into the wells.

of course just after we'd about finished up, I found an NOS pair of wheelhouses..... least we're set for the next one, lol .

~ AL

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check my car domain site. I posted pics of the quarter in primer. I need to do some more block sanding, but it's done for now. I don't think it came out too bad for the first time doing a quarter on my own. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts