Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a stupid question but..... i have a 69 nova that needs a driver side quarter. i have a small 110 mig but its a flux wire unit with no gas. it also is set up for .030 wire i think. i was in harbor freight and saw a spot welder, i do have 220 in my barn so i could get the larger unit they sell which claims to do up to 3/16" combined thickness. will this work to weld a full quarter panel on? if i have to do a couple tack with the mig thats fine im just wondering if the spot welder would save me some headachs and time. any advice would be great

·
Registered
982 Posts
if its possible to set up gas on your 110 do that, if not, get a 220 mig.

either one will work as long as its gas and not flux core wire

·
Registered
442 Posts
And you'll get a far cleaner weld with gas.

·
5,132 Posts
I would also drop down in wire size to .023 for your sheet metal work.
^^^^^ also a good idea. He'll need different contact tip and feed wheels but can probably use the .030 gun liner unless it is worn.

BTW, I welded 20 gage mild steel with .045 wire last week at a seminar.
Butt joint with one metal thickness gap. No blowouts. Some of the new MIG welding technology is amazing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My dad bought a Miller spot welder a few years back and it can be a pain to work with, it's heavy and awkward. IMO you would be better off buying a good quality mig welder like Miller or Lincoln. I've got a Millermatic 180 Auto-set and it's a nice little welder for what I do. There's no way that I could've done my quarters and all the fab work with out it. It's the best investment I ever made, never regreted spending the money.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00209

1 - 7 of 7 Posts