Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry about the rotation... I don't know how to fix it.

I have heard nothing but good things about the fit of AMD's full panel for the 72 nova... yet the one I have is all kinds of weirdness with it. It came in an AMD box... yet it says "triplus" on the sticker, and the coating also fails the paint thinner test, so it is't EDP coating as advertised. I called AMD and they said the sticker isn't a problem. I'm still concerned I got ripped off... what I'm hoping is someone can say "yeah, had the same issues with my AMD panel. Such is life with repop parts bro." Or, "Nope, looks like you got a different panel than you thought."

The first issue is where the trunk is supposed to meet the tail panel... it appears the quarter panel is short material. It also does not look like the corner brace will fill this.

The second issue is in the door jamb. It appears this curve is stamped 'off' just a bit... I think I can move the bend to the "left" as viewed in this picture, and bring it all down to make it work.

the third is that it seems to hang down too low... I can tweak the trunk floor down and make this line I up, I think.

The final one is the door peg hole and the "phone" stamping around it... the hole was off, and the "phone" isn't the same between the two.

other little things are that the vertical flat that forms the pinch weld in the door opening is too long and will have to be cut back, and that the stamping at the front, top corner where it meets the B pillar is a off and will require a slide/weld to make it line up.

Let me know what you think...

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m no body man so I had my 72 done by a friend that is far too modest. He’s a magician with sheet metal. But he had to go through exactly what you did.
He changed both quarter panels, the tail light panel, the passenger door skin, the front passenger fender and the hood. Everything was a “make it fit” battle. I had to laugh when he told me he had to cut the inner brace on the fender, lay it on his lawn and jump on it to get the lines he wanted. It’s the nature of the beast with our somewhat inconsistently built unibody Novas.
On the other hand he’s doing the same thing to my sons 68 Charger. He called me to drop in and have a look when he had the panels, doors and fenders tacked on because he couldn’t believe how perfect the initial fit was.
I will never attempt bodywork of any kind myself!
Persevere my friend, you will make it fit!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I think what you are demonstrating is pretty normal with most replacement sheet metal. This is why I ended up painstakingly using my existing sheet metal and spending many many hours with my welder and patch panels.
You're in Oregon City? I'm just up 99E in Milwaukie! Small world!

You're probably right though, I just need to deal with it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts