Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:Back in the day, I traded the stock Quadrajet that came on my '71 270HP 350 automatic for a new Holley spreadbore. In hindsight, I shouldn't have traded, but rather, bought out right. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. It never occured to me at the time that I would still have this car after 42 yrs, and it would still be in original condition.
I've been looking for a Quadrajet that would have come on that year, and for 10 yrs I have been hanging on to one that supposedly came off of a '70 Camaro. But...I never checked the date code until today.
It's: 17056202 0406 AAB. So I'm thinking that this is a 1976 carb, and even if it would work, probably not worth hanging on to any longer if I want one that's close to what the original would have been.
Is this the number that I should be looking for: 7041202? And with a date code within 3 mos of my build date? Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes,7041202 is the correct carb you are looking for.Ask for Phil at Custom Rebuilt Carbs,might have a core for you,they know Q-Jets.If they don't have a core you might want to check with Jim McGowan at the Quad Shop 815-874-4884.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,7041202 is the correct carb you are looking for.Ask for Phil at Custom Rebuilt Carbs,might have a core for you,they know Q-Jets.If they don't have a core you might want to check with Jim McGowan at the Quad Shop 815-874-4884.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Quadra Jet

I have a rebuilt 1202, never reinstalled or used, sitting in my locker for the last ten years.. how do I identfy date code? Still looking for a replacement?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a rebuilt 1202, never reinstalled or used, sitting in my locker for the last ten years.. how do I identfy date code? Still looking for a replacement?
Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking, kind of.
The date code on my cowl tag is 03A, which makes the build date the 1st week in March, 1971.
The carb number has to be 7041202, and the date code should be from the first 2 months of the year if I get a "numbers correct" carb.
The date code should be just under the the carb number, and if I have it right, should look something like: DG xxx1, with an early numbered carb numbered no higher than 0601. Again, to be "numbers correct". Looking for the perfect carb might be like looking for a needle in a haystack and might end up being the closer the better.
I've included a link where I got my information from.
What are you thinking? Thanks

http://www.carburetion.com/quadnumber.htm

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
carb

PM me your email address , I will shoot you some pictures. close to the DG stamp is 2510...I would sell this if you needed one. Is that number a serial number or sequence number ?... seems GM used them on a lot of cars, trucks, etc.... any thing with a 4 barrel and an automatic tranny... I think this carb came from a 70 Station Wagon..... I may have had this carb closer to 20 years...
don

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PM me your email address , I will shoot you some pictures. close to the DG stamp is 2510...I would sell this if you needed one. Is that number a serial number or sequence number ?... seems GM used them on a lot of cars, trucks, etc.... any thing with a 4 barrel and an automatic tranny... I think this carb came from a 70 Station Wagon..... I may have had this carb closer to 20 years...
don
Please check your mail. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
carb

Build date info on this carb I have .... DG 2510 would read production date as 251 st day of 1970, Sept . 7th to be precise, ready for the release of 1971 models for the up and comming year, or a very early purchase in late 1970..
Info is online.. Google : Rochester Quadrajet Carb identification numbers..some good stuff on here..

·
Registered
50 Posts
:mad:Back in the day, I traded the stock Quadrajet that came on my '71 270HP 350 automatic for a new Holley spreadbore. In hindsight, I shouldn't have traded, but rather, bought out right. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. It never occured to me at the time that I would still have this car after 42 yrs, and it would still be in original condition.
I've been looking for a Quadrajet that would have come on that year, and for 10 yrs I have been hanging on to one that supposedly came off of a '70 Camaro. But...I never checked the date code until today.
It's: 17056202 0406 AAB. So I'm thinking that this is a 1976 carb, and even if it would work, probably not worth hanging on to any longer if I want one that's close to what the original would have been.
Is this the number that I should be looking for: 7041202? And with a date code within 3 mos of my build date? Thanks.
all quadrajets will exchange or bolt on. good luck in your search. I have some early models,but the base plate and shaft usually wear out. I always got better performance from a q j than I did the Holley s b, but it had the mechanical secondaries

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all quadrajets will exchange or bolt on. good luck in your search. I have some early models,but the base plate and shaft usually wear out. I always got better performance from a q j than I did the Holley s b, but it had the mechanical secondaries
I know that the quadrajets interchange; I have one from a '76 Camaro, but I was looking for a "numbers correct" one that would be close to the one that came on the car. Just to put in storage and keep with the car.
I'm not that familiar with either of the carbs, but I think I remember the Holley performing better than the quadrajet after I put it on. But that was a long time ago.
This is stock, and it isn't a race motor by any means, but it does run pretty good.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is your build date?
The build date on my cowl tag is 03A, which would be the 1st week in March, 1971. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Holley had a lot of quality control problems with the internal gaskets in their spread bores. I was working for Nationwise back then and we had a lot of complaints. On the 650/800 models, the gasket between the carb body and the metering block would shrink like crazy. The 450s had problems, too, but I can't remember exactly what they were. I owned versions of both carbs and really didn't care for either one. Q-Jets worked better in almost every case. (Being a Holley guy, I can't believe I just typed that! :doh:)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Holley had a lot of quality control problems with the internal gaskets in their spread bores. I was working for Nationwise back then and we had a lot of complaints. On the 650/800 models, the gasket between the carb body and the metering block would shrink like crazy. The 450s had problems, too, but I can't remember exactly what they were. I owned versions of both carbs and really didn't care for either one. Q-Jets worked better in almost every case. (Being a Holley guy, I can't believe I just typed that! :doh:)
That's interesting news. Since the Holley has been on my car for 40 + yrs, I just took it off to get it rebuilt. I was thinking that the power valve needed replacing, but overall, it was running pretty good after all of these years. I'm hoping that the gaskets in the rebuild kit are new and improved.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Use the holley blue replacement gaskets.If the kit doesn't supply them, you can still order them as a kit for the float bowls and metering blocks.
Many thanks for the info. F

1 - 17 of 17 Posts