Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of QA1 Stocker single adjustable rear shocks on my 70 Nova and they are almost all the way compressed. I would figure I would have had to pull the shock out some when I put them on to give it some travel, but they are almost all the way compressed when installed. Looks to be 1/2 inch extended with the weight on the car. Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I do not think that is normal. When I bought my shocks they said they should be about half compressed when installed to allow for full movement of the suspension. I would double check the part number and contact the vendor.
If you car is lowered or the rear narrowed this must also be taken in to consideration.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a previous owner relocated the shock mount and welded it about centerline of the axle tube. I cut it off last night and put on a Detroit lower shock plate. It kicked my butt. I had jacks under the springs and a couple of C clamps to get the new mount back in place.

I clamped the other side before taking off the old lower shock mount (actually just a plate), so that might help some. I realized I needed to order to right side plates due to the shocks being staggered, so I am on hold until Summit delivers.

Any tricks on swapping these plates out with just one person?

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
Hmmm,
Looks to me like you have single leaf bottom plates on a mutlileaf leaf spring pack with a modified perch and shock mount.

You should have one U clamp and two T bolts on each side.

the Shock mount should be like this
https://www.ss396.com/nova/NJX-283.html?search_query_insert=Y&search_query=leaf spring bottom&search_results=20&conversion_insert=Y&conversion_product_id=10969&cartype=nova&year=1970

PN is NJX-283 at ground up.

also you will need the shock mount stud:

https://www.ss396.com/nova/DR-041.html?search_query_insert=Y&search_query=shock&search_results=5&conversion_insert=Y&conversion_product_id=653&cartype=nova&year=1970

PN Dr-041

You may have already bought the correct plates from Summit.

I supported the leaf spring on both sides of the axle, with the weight of the car on the stands and removed my old bottom plate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the one side done last night and took off the other side and had it clamped. Overnight the clamp fell off (tried to attach a picture, but it won’t upload). Basically, the spring is almost touching the ground and the rear axle is canted up. I am waiting for the correct part from Summit. What does anyone think at this point on how to get the two together and put on the lower shock mount? The leaf spring doesn’t seem to be the issue if I use a jack, it is pulling the rear down and getting that in place to line up and install the shock mount.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, Pontiac powered; 68 &75 Firebirds
431 Posts
I don't quite understand the problem in your last post. If the rear end is on jack stands, then when you take off the bottom plate, that side of the car would drop down and the spring would be on the ground. If the car was also on jack stands and the leafs separated from the axle, then just jack up the car until the spring contacts the axle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't quite understand the problem in your last post. If the rear end is on jack stands, then when you take off the bottom plate, that side of the car would drop down and the spring would be on the ground. If the car was also on jack stands and the leafs separated from the axle, then just jack up the car until the spring contacts the axle.
Thank you for the reply. I plan to work on it tonight, but I jacked up the car and put a jack stand under the leaf spring. Now I think I will jack up the opposite axle to push it down towards the plate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other side went on much easier. Guess I had to learn the stupid way on the first side. Back to driving it tomorrow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts