Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know asking opinions about suspensions is not always the best of ideas, but here I go. The front suspension on my '73 Olds is shot, and I will be replacing it early next month. I am looking at the QA-1 coilover kit, and at the Hotchkis 2 inch lowering springs with the Bilsteins. Both look nice and there is only a few dollar difference between the two. Now, this is a daily driven can, and I want to keep a nice ride. What are your thought. Also how low do the 2 inch springs sit. I love the stance of my car as it is and do not want to raised by the springs. Does anyone have a pic of their car with the Hotchkis set-up? Below is a pic of my car so you can see the stance.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would not change to the coil over set up. When you look at the kit the whole front of the car is held up by the old shock bolt holes:eek:. So your resting the front of the car on 4 small bolts.

Also the kit is to short for the 3 gen cars. i would rebuild the frontend with good parts and if you want the front lower then buy the 2 inch drops.

If you ask me you car looks great as it is.

Your ride your choice...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I could try to get one pic tonight of the nova on hotchkiss, but mine is 2.5" lower because the hotchkis lower arm will let you drop it .5 inch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you ask me you car looks great as it is.

Your ride your choice...
Thanks, I love the way it looks as well and don't want a change in that department. The problem is that it has cut springs in the front and they and the shock are pretty much worn and I am bouncing the tires off the inner fenders when I turn. Thanks for the info on the QA-1's as well. I like the Hotchkis set-up, and have used Hotchkis in the past and was happy, but want to make sure the car still sits about where it is now.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have the number to a company that will make you a set of springs for $145.00. You provde them with the installed hight and a few other things and they custom make you a set.

PM if you want the number

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Have run Hotckis before, wasnt even close to being low enough, so I went
Qa1 and love them, I few adjustments on the shock's and you can tune the ride. Plus ride heights adjustments are cake, which come in hand for all novas that have that driver's side sag. When I switched to my LS2 I moved to a softer spring rate,because the LS2 takes about 80 pounds off the front end compared to a 350. That only cost me $38.

As far as only haveing a few bolts holding up the shock...lol I guess if you plan on jumping the car then yeah I would switch them out.

Chris Alston makes a vari shock thats pretty trick..

But if you like the stance you have on old springs then just run the hotchkis, they are a good riding spring.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is the front with a 250 CID and no bumper with 205/70R14(dia 25.4 in)

This is the rear with a 1/4 tank of gas and no bumper with 205/70R14(dia 25.4 in)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Here are a couple of pics with Hotchkis springs and Koni shocks front and rear. I really like the ride and handling. If you lean towards the comfort side v.s. road racing or auto crossing, you may want a softer spring. QA1s with a 450 lbs spring would work pretty good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts