Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone raced with a quadrajet? i've got one and i'm liking the idea of popping the hood and having a stock gm part on their but still being pretty quick, aany tricks people have done etc..? or should i just bite the bullet and get a holley 750 double pumper

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
The Q-et is very popular in the Pontiac and Buick circles. There are many 11 and 10 second street cars and aome 10 second race cars running around with Q-jets. For a dual purpose car or a high performance street car a Q-jet can't be beat. The small primarys give you great throttle response and good milage, and the large secondarys give you great power when needed. Your best bet is to find a Q-jet expert to send yours to to be rebuilt a set up. I use Cliff Ruggles at Cliff's Q-jet in Ohio. My car hasn't been down the track yet, but should be a totally stock appearing mid to low 11 second car. I run a 245/255 @ .050 cam with a q-jet set up for my set-up and it idles great, has incredible throttle response for this large of a cam, flows 800cfm (it's an older smaller casting, the Q-jets from the 70's can be flowed to around 850-900cfm), and outright screams when it's opened up. Cliff put one of his Q-jet's up agaings a fully prepped Holley 930cfm on a 468 Pontiac race engine a few years ago and out ran the Holley, the performance potential is there. The Q-jet has a bad reputation simply because people in general don't take the time to learn how to properly tune one, then their car runs like crap, and finally they tell everone the Q-jet's are no good. That's an outright fabrication. :cool: Besides, I love it when my car with stock intake, stock exhaust manifolds, Q-jet, points distributor, full exhaust, etc. lines up with a "race car" with screaming open headers, too large cam, big Holley, etc. and he can't catch me!;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
It definitely can be done. I had one on my 69 Camaro 350ci street/strip car. A buddy of mine and I set it up. Had great throttle response, secondaries came in quick, performed well. Q-jet is more tunable than a lot of people think. I read an article when I did mine. There are a lot of good write ups out there. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Quads are a pretty good carb and can run the the best of them when set up properly (sorta like most carbs need to be setup correctly)...Plus your MPG WILL go up...with the price of fuel we have at the moment I have been thinking about swaping in a quad inplace of my holley when the time comes...I'm sure it would work well (again once setup correctly)and would give me better MPG then I would get with the holley too...and in the end it all adds up:)

Speaking of Quads I see that Edelbrock is making a Quad type carb is this thing like the old Quads?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Lots of racing classes require you to run a Q Jet. They can work OK when they are tricked up some. They also have some problems with casting plugs getting loose inside if I remember right. They are not as easy to work on as a Holley. They are a good street carb. If you want all out performance though and you can spend a little money the Holley carbs are hard to beat. Smart carb guys today have ways to better atomize fuel in Holleys so the dropplets are smaller. So it's like a bucket of golf balls verses a bucket of marbles. What has more mass? Now make beleive the mass is fuel. Add a little air and you go faster plus the smaller drops light better. RM

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I've run one for about 6 years now, with about 150 passes. The best of 11.40. I get about 14 MPG when driving to and from the track.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I run a Q-Jet on both our stock eliminator cars. We build our own and modify them to work well. There is definatly some tricks that need to be done to them but they are a very good performing carb.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool

Ok that answers my question on here, thanks for the replies, all i ever see people talking about are their holley's etc.. etc..., i'm determined to learn my qjet and make it run with the best of them, thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

What are the tricks you're doing to the Q-jet to make it perform better? I'm curious.

Jason

·
Registered
475 Posts
There is a guy named Cliff Ruggles(SP?) builds Q-jets. A LOT of guys have him do their carbs. He stays pretty well covered up with work so if you want him to do it then it will be a while before you get your carb back. You wont be dissapointed though.
There is a new book coming out, may already be out, written by Cliff on how to rebuild and modify Q-jets. Im gonna be buying a copy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts