Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Flowmaster 40's drone finally shook my fillings loose. I wanted a different sound and the search was on. After scouring the dark corners of the inter-web, I found Pypes Exhaust. It's a company that I have noticed at show's and such but never really paid attention to them. They offer three different mufflers: (mild to wild) Street Pro, Race Pro, and Violators. I chose the Race Pro which is a straight through, packed perforated tube style. They come well built and heavy like any other muffler would be. The price point is of GREAT VALUE. Now on to the sound, because that's what mufflers are all about.

I have a warmed up sbc, alum heads, GB carb, richmond 5 speed, yada-yada. 2 1/4" true duals dumped right at the rear end.

The exhaust note at idle is healthy, but a more "airy" sound and a little quieter than the 40's. Mid-range is quieter that the 40's. But, when you get on the throttle this is where the Race Pro's really shine. The first time I did it, my eyes bugged and instant smile. They really roar! Have a listen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7P80moA0I

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Sounds Good From Here

I installed a Pypes stainless steel exhaust system on my 1970 Chevelle. X pipe and all. As it came in a kit with the "street" mufflers, those are what I installed. The mufflers were just too loud and droney for me. I bought a pair of Magnaflows that are recommended for Suburbans, and am happy that the drone disappeared.
There was a time that I thought my twelve inch glasspacks were just right. Those days are over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a Pypes stainless steel exhaust system on my 1970 Chevelle. X pipe and all. As it came in a kit with the "street" mufflers, those are what I installed. The mufflers were just too loud and droney for me. I bought a pair of Magnaflows that are recommended for Suburbans, and am happy that the drone disappeared.
There was a time that I thought my twelve inch glasspacks were just right. Those days are over.
Interesting point from my research, is that the Race Pro's flow really well and were the quietest of the bunch. I guess it is in the design of the flow.

It's funny how my tolerance for high school cool is now an annoyance.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I agree that the marketing of the pype mufflers is a little confusing. When I built my Nova, I went with the flowmasters, because it was simple, the lower the number the louder it was. Pretty basic. The Pypes systems had street flow, race flow, etc. But people were saying the race flo was the quietest of them and the street flows were louder. So without really being able to compare them, I stuck with the flowmasters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that the marketing of the pype mufflers is a little confusing. When I built my Nova, I went with the flowmasters, because it was simple, the lower the number the louder it was. Pretty basic. The Pypes systems had street flow, race flow, etc. But people were saying the race flo was the quietest of them and the street flows were louder. So without really being able to compare them, I stuck with the flowmasters.
Totally agree with you, confusing as all get out. Street / Race , name association doesn't match up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Man...I installed the street pro kit on my nova just recently. I thought they were the quieter of the bunch. Haven't started it yet, so I guess I just have to hope they don't annoy me.

I too remember when turn downs before the axle on a set of flows was awesome..and having to yell cuz you couldn't hear after a cruise...now I actually care about pissing off the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Seen it first hand myself. The street pro's are considerably louder than the race pro's. Even the pypes violators aren't that loud.
I beg to differ. The Violators are appropriately named. I had a set on for about a week, and had them cut off and replaced with Street Pro's. The Street Pros are loud but not as obnoxious as the Violators. I had people driving in front of me that could hear my exhaust on my 72 Chevelle with a mild 350. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
The exhaust I have on my car is too loud for me and has tiny pipes. A couple of years ago I was going to buy a new exhaust setup from Pypes, but the muffler names and quiet/loud info didn't make sense to me, so I didn't do it.

I had read that the Race Pro were the quietest of the bunch and the best performing/most free-flowing. I guess losing HP to get a louder 'street' muffler means they're just playing to their market, like the Thumpr cams: it's about how it sounds first...how it performs is a secondary concern.

Good to know about the sound, thanks for posting the video. Maybe a 2.5 setup with an x pipe and Race Pro mufflers is in my future. Just gotta sell a few things to save up...

·
Registered
1 Posts
which to chose pypes race pro or violaters have a 383 with brodix track one heads with a solid rollor 620 lift with a 254/260 duration an 106 lobe have flow master 40's on now an looking for a more aggrissive sound which ones? Thanks for input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys I bought two steet flows and a jegs 140 dollar 2.5 inch mandrel bent kit. Installed myself and dam it sounds good. No droan. I can actually hear wind noise inside at 3000 rpm. 390 gears, 355 hp gm crate engine with 4x4 hot roller cam kit. Powerglide 3,000 stall 10 inch converter. Took off flowmaster 40's that side exited in front of tires. Car sounds good at idle can hear cam , nice at 3000 cruise. But when you cut down on it. Man oh man it talks!! Louder than the side exit flows. But very nice when you drive it easy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I recently finished up my exhaust. It started out a a 2 1/2" Pypes complete exhaust for a first gen. I fit it all together with the supplied squeeze clamps and went back and welded some connections and v-banded others to make a serviceable exhaust. It has the street pro mufflers and without having actually drove the car yet I can tell that it's just a bit to loud. I'm gonna likely go with some Borla's with similar overall dimensions. I like quality over quantity when it comes to sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts