Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to Pypes today for a prototype install of thier new 62-67 Chevy II system. My car was the test mule for the custom bent system they will be introducing in about 2 months. You can see photos and sound clips here:

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/gallery58.html

Some notes:

1. I have Hedman Headers on the car. The drivers side collector on these and Flowtech headers points down, so we used the reducers and lead pipes from my old system. Everything in front of the forward-most band clamp is old. The Pypes kit will not turn up at the headers, so that it can be used with manifolds, JR headers, Hooker headers, or thier own Dougs headers. They want it to be a more universal system.

2. The tailpipes were custom fabricated since this was a prototype system. You can see several pieces welded together. They made the tail pipes for my car and then made and test-fitted a duplicate set that will become the "master" for the one piece mandrel bent pipes. The production parts will not have all of the welds you see on mine.

3. Clearance is very good everywhere. My car has all stock suspension, with 3-leaf espo replacement springs. This should work for all of you guys with stock leaf springs in the stock location.

4. The system is 2.5" and uses thier 14" long street-pro mufflers. Awesome sound, and not at all noisy on highway drives. When I left thier shop, I drove 110 miles at 70 mph (~3000 rpm), and I think I heard more wind noise than exhaust. However, when I jumped on it pulling out of a PA turnpike toll booth, it sounded MEAN! Nice and throaty, with a very "crisp" performance sound. My car is a very mild 327, in case you are wondering.

I cannot say enough good things about the staff at Pypes and the quality of thier system. I would highly recommend this kit to all early Chevy 2 guys when it is released. :)

P.S. No picking on my crusty undercarriage!!!! ;)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
GEEEEZE !!! i didn't think it was gonna sound so loud so i turned it up... :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

WOW !!!! sounds Great !!! :D

looks Real Good too !!!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
will there be any kind of dyno on this?? we're deffinitly looking at the pypes system for our 66 ss with a built 406... some dyno action would be amazing.:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Glad your happy with it. I love the way my 2.5" Pypes system sounds. Nice and docile while puttering around and then really ROARS when you get on it.

Which muffler did you go with? I went with the Pro-V.

·
Supporting Vendor
62 Posts
66IISS said:
will there be any kind of dyno on this?? we're deffinitly looking at the pypes system for our 66 ss with a built 406... some dyno action would be amazing.:D :D :D
That is what Pypes ideally likes to do on each new system but unfortunately the timing wasn't right. However, we've dyno'd enough cars to 'GUARANTEE' that if you are switching from a locally compression bent 2.25" system, you will pick up at least 25hp. It's also not uncommon to pickup 35-50 if your motor has a healthy rebuild. Normally the gains are attributed 40% to the mandrel Bent Pipe, 40% to the siamese design X crossover and 20% to a performance muffler.

66IISS, When you are ready, If you want to arrange locally for a new installation and dyno testing, we'll pay for the dyno testing as long as you post the results here. Shoot us an e-mail if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can say that the car definitelt felt stronger with the new Pypes system. The one that was on there before was a real mess with severly crimped tailpipes. I had 2.5" with no crossover and Dynomax Ultra-Flo welded mufflers. The new Pypes system sounds 100% better, and I think the car definitely picked up some power. Remember, I have a mild 327. A 383 or 406 would probably REALLY benefit from this system.

Ccass... thanks again! I am really loving my new exhaust system! :D

I honestly think that this kit will be the best thing on the market for us early Chevy II guys. The fit is great, and the quality can't be beat.

·
0 Posts
Im in for a group buy!

I know, bandwagon. It looks great sounds great and I have no exhaust what a match.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi ccass, i was reading john65ss post about redoing the tail pipe section to correct the fitting problem. after looking at the photos,all you did was cut up the non fitting pipe to make it make it work.the biggest problem i had with tailpipe was the bend over the axle .the bend going up is fine but the bend coming down goes to far down and then goes up a little before going out to rear.thats the problem,it should be half of that. if your going to fix the problem do it right. when i talked to the guys from pypes at the daytona show,they told me it would fit with a little modifacation.sure!? i wanted it to exit to the rear but had to settle for behind the tire.anyway,here's a photo of what i did.it looks like what you did but without the chrome tips.click on my photobucket link for more photos.http://photobucket.com/albums/d90/novafied/
[/URL]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the bend going up is fine but the bend coming down goes to far down and then goes up a little before going out to rear.thats the problem,it should be half of that. if your going to fix the problem do it right.
Novafied.... that is EXACTLY what they did on my car. They took some "height" out the the rear section of the bends so that it does not dip down as far. It is a bit hard to see in the photos, because they ground the welds smooth and painted with high-temp aluminum. If you really zoom in on the photos, you can see where the pipe is painted just rear of the axle loop.

The system on mine does not get nearly as close to the leaf spring, compared to the picture you posted. If I get some time later this week, I'll try to take a picture from the same perspective as your picture and post here.

John

·
Supporting Vendor
62 Posts
Dan_Lebherz said:
$64,000 question.
will it fit a Wagon?
Can you take some pics of the rear section including the gas tank positioning? That would be a start.

·
Supporting Vendor
62 Posts
hot66 said:
Those rock! Save me a set!

Looks like a good prospect for a group buy.

Jeff
If someone on the site wants to organize a group-buy, we will definitely make it attractive for everyone. We'll probably need 2 weeks or so to price out the tailpipes but my guess is that the system will list the same as the A-body systems($409) for header-back. Retail will be around $365. We might be able to put together something in the range of $299 group-buy with a maximum of 10 systems at that price. Don't quote me on this yet, but I'm fairly confident that's where we'll be at.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi john65ss,when i saw you photos i thought it looked like mine. i think this system will work in a 68 and up nova.i think i cut off about 2.5 feet of pipe on each side .what a waste.don't get me wrong,the system is nice,sounds good too.i just wish the tailpipe fit better. i tried expanding the pipe with a matco tool and the pipe is some strong stuff because i was affaid i was going to strip the tool.i was using a 1/2 impact gun with 120 psi .i don't have a torch,maybe that would have helped? they should make the tailpipe in 3 pieces so you can make it exit the rear or behind the tire. who cares if it's not one piece,it's going to get welded or clamped.just make it easier to fit.

·
Supporting Vendor
62 Posts
novafied said:
hi john65ss,when i saw you photos i thought it looked like mine. i think this system will work in a 68 and up nova.
We have 2 different systems already designed for the 68-74 body style. They feature 2 piece tailpipes. I imagine you could maybe use this new system on the 68-74 but I don't see an advantage since there are already 2 that fit.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts