Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my PYPES kit (p/n SGN-10) installed by a muffler shop and when I go pick up the car the exhaust looks funky. I’m like “what the heck??”

Anyways, it looks like I got the right kit but maybe the wrong tail pipes. They’re marked p/n TGN10-2. I called Summit and they can’t identify that number even on Pypes website. I guess I have to wait til Tuesday to call Pypes and find out

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also, for reference my tailpipes are labeled TGN10-2 as well and they go over the leaf spring and exit near the rear of quarter like factory. I would look at that cut/reweld spot and have a talk with the install shop....

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks cj. It looks like you’re tailpipes are also angled at the muffler connection so that the tail end swings out towards the rear fender. I’ll take another look at it since you’re also stating that the p/n on the tail pieces jives.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Your rear end has been narrowed and your leaf springs moved inboard. Maybe the prebent Pypes could not sit the way they were supposed to..

Just a thought..

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures but I would also look at the very end of the tailpipes for evidence of being cut. It almost looks like they cut off the last kick down bend off the end of the pipe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My pypes kit for the 72 Nova are not side exit. Did you order side exit exhaust? My kit fit very well, in fact I installed it myself. Its the 3in kit. I also installed the 3in kit in my 70 camaro, and it fit very well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked for cuts on the end and they look complete still. I’m hoping they just have to be adjusted. When I received the kit I tried putting the rear piece over the diff and it’s not possible without removing the wheels. I don’t think they removed the rear wheels at time of install

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the CBR drop multi leaf setup on a 67 hardtop and it is very very tight but the tailpipes can be ran over the rear axle and leaf springs if you lift the body up and let the axle sag. Virtually impossible with the weight of the car on the axle but doable if you jack up on the body to gain clearance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Something else to look at: how high are the hoops with the tailpipes positioned below the springs? With my exhaust tucked up nice and tight the top of the hoops come very close to actually touching the trunk floor. My car is at my local fab shop getting some work done or I would go take better pictures for you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check out this picture from Pypes website. How many bends do you have after the rear axle hoop? From your picture I count 2. From the Pypes picture i count 3. Looking at the passenger tailpipe.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts