Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Durango Deuce, the Mexican Rally '63 Nova, needs a new front sub-frame. I need some advice about buying a replacement. (To comply with the rally rules, it must be the original sub-frame and not a modern replacement.)

I have been trying to find a used sub-frame in Texas, around Houston, so I can pick it up during the Christmas holidays. (I live in Mexico about 550 miles from Laredo, Texas.) However, I am not sure what I need or how to check it when I find one. I assume I want one that is stright (square?), not so rusty, and with a radiator support. I read on this site that a '65 is different.

Is it also possible to take a front clip apart so it will fit in the back of my pickup? I also need a passenger side fender, bumper, grill, headlight stuff, steering linkage, etc.

As you can tell, I have never done this before. All that sheet metal up front is something of a mystery to me.

I need some good advice ASAP. Going to Texas on Saturday.

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
Is this the original Durango Duece or a clone? I thought the original was a '64.

Anyways, you want a complete front subframe assembly with radiator core support. If you unbolt the radiator core, strut rod mounts, brake line and center braces it all comes apart into three main pieces that will easily fit in a pick-up truck.

As for damage, look for rot, big dents, wrinkles, tears and basically any sort of large damage. Holes should be round, angles true and lines straight in the sheet metal. If it was bolted to a car you could use the factory assembly manual and measure it out, but that probably will not be an option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts