Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 73 i was pulling the front fenders off and noticed a huge rusted out hole on the passenger side cowl channel. I did some welding and patch work. But as im about to patch my last piece to close the hole up im wondering where do the water go. The cowl vent allow water to come in but then what? Is there supposed to be a hole or something i dont see any holes on the passenger side. What am i missing?
20200821_120235.jpg
20200821_121308.jpg
20200821_121313.jpg

·
6,498 Posts
Down low on the cowl sides there should be a hole (and I do not remember if it's rectangular or round) that goes into the rocker sill. Water would then come off of the cowl sides and go into the rockers and then exit out the back inside of the rocker sill by the front of the rear wheel opening.
I've never had to do work on any cowl sides but I know when I have kick panels off if you reach down inside from inside the car you can find the opening providing it's not blocked by debris or someone has not covered the hole with new metal or fiberglass from a previous repair.
When you do find the hole, try and raise the car nose up to where the rockers are going uphill in the front and then with a garden hose pump water through the sides of the cowl and the water should mostly exit out by the back tire. There may be debris in there so you may have to unclog things with using a needle nose pliers to keep pulling junk out until it's all cleared out.
IF for some reason you are going to do rear outer wheelhousing replacements, cut an access hole in the back end of the rocker to be able to really get in there to clean things out and then before sealing the rockers back up, put in some type of coating to reduce or stop any rust formation..

Someone may add a picture when they were working on their repair in the cowl sides. I just never had a car with one that needed repair there.

Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Down low on the cowl sides there should be a hole (and I do not remember if it's rectangular or round) that goes into the rocker sill. Water would then come off of the cowl sides and go into the rockers and then exit out the back inside of the rocker sill by the front of the rear wheel opening.
I've never had to do work on any cowl sides but I know when I have kick panels off if you reach down inside from inside the car you can find the opening providing it's not blocked by debris or someone has not covered the hole with new metal or fiberglass from a previous repair.
When you do find the hole, try and raise the car nose up to where the rockers are going uphill in the front and then with a garden hose pump water through the sides of the cowl and the water should mostly exit out by the back tire. There may be debris in there so you may have to unclog things with using a needle nose pliers to keep pulling junk out until it's all cleared out.
IF for some reason you are going to do rear outer wheelhousing replacements, cut an access hole in the back end of the rocker to be able to really get in there to clean things out and then before sealing the rockers back up, put in some type of coating to reduce or stop any rust formation..

Someone may add a picture when they were working on their repair in the cowl sides. I just never had a car with one that needed repair there.

Jim
Yeah i had to stare at the other side now i get it. Now im looking up at this big hole i see the flapper door. I guess the cowl was to pull air in the cab when needed. My only issue with that is that the air would be filthy and can add wind noise in the cab.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts