Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for the Canadian guys on here.

Anyone researched whether restoration parts for your Nova/Acadian are a better price if bought locally from a supplier in your city or if purchased from the USA suppliers (ie Classic Industries, etc)?

Typically I see local shops where I live, picking up a Classic Industries catalogue when I drop by to orders parts, and I've wondered if they are ordering them through these US suppliers.

If so, maybe it would be cheaper if I ordered them direct from the US.

I prefer to spend my dollars at the local level, but am curious if this is best price available.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Lug Nut, are you a member of Canadian Poncho ? (It caters to Canadian Pontiacs as well as Beaumont and Acadian)

I just asked over there about Antique Chevrolet Parts in Ontario because looking onliine, they seem to have excellent pricing and make it worthwhile buying in Canada because of shipping, duty etc.

You may want to check this link over there---

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=118110&p=3&topicID=34074859

·
15,013 Posts
First of all, the U.S./Canadian dollar value on any given day has to be considered when ordering direct. I see you live in Saskatoon. The shipping cost from the U.S. to your location will more than kill any benefit of a lower U.S. price. If you lived near the border as I do, and could pickup yourself on the U.S. side, there are certainly savings to be had. For you, I would suggest shopping around in Canada for the lowest prices.
Bob

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The brokerage fees are what cost all the money, I usually find, that the extra little bit of cost buying here is what I prefer. Many times I can buy parts that are already here, rather then waiting on shipping, not always, but sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
I also live close to the border ( 1.5 hrs.) and a couple of guys that work for me live right at the border and pick up anything that I buy as they are always on the U.S. side getting gas etc.
One more thing to consider is if you order something and it arrives damaged or even worse, not at all. While I am sure all would work out in the end it can be a little nerve racking.
If you can buy locally then you can easily refuse a damaged item etc.

If you do buy from the U.S. there are many fine folks on this site that will go out of their way to make sure you get your goods:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
LugNut,
I made one purchase through Antique Chevrolet Parts, and just wanted to let you know that I have no complaints about their service.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
LugNut,
I made one purchase through Antique Chevrolet Parts, and just wanted to let you know that I have no complaints about their service.
Absolutely great guys and very knowledgable but their prices are out to lunch. After getting a quote I told them so and thanked them for their time. Also, went to the new store location.:eek: Looks like a flea market. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Wow, what pieces did you price that were so bad? I did about 10 numbers for first gen and I think 6 or 7 were cheaper than the common US suppliers once I did all the extras associated with a Canadian buying American goods.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Wow, what pieces did you price that were so bad? I did about 10 numbers for first gen and I think 6 or 7 were cheaper than the common US suppliers once I did all the extras associated with a Canadian buying American goods.
Carl, They were all 3rd gen body parts. I guess because I'm so close to the border as others have mentioned, I still find it way cheaper to get the same parts from the US. I still shop around because all these retailers sell all the exact same products from the same manufacturers, so it's still buyer beware. Isn't there a retailer near you called Mid Canada or something like that. If you do want to get something from Antique Chev Shoot me a PM and maybe I could ship cheaper for you. :D

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
I am only about 25 miles from the border as well, so I have used that method a number of times too. Mid Canada closed not long ago. He gave me a good deal on stuff when he was there though.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I put a new floor in the box of my truck last summer. I saved about $300 buying locally than if I had bought direct from LMC and paid oversize shipping to the border. I would have still brokered it across the border. And my floor came into B.C. via Toronto. I know that at least two of the smaller shops around here order their stuff to the border then go down and pick it up. I price my stuff both ways and buy locally if the prices are close. Nice to have a face to talk to if something dosen't fit.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I get a lot of parts from the US thru friends, that way they can send as a GIFT.
no brokerage or duty involved.Nothing Illegal about it.
:confused::confused: I am just wondering when dishonesty, and fraud became exceptable. :confused::confused:

Do yourfriends give all those parts for free? Do you pay them? If you order parts (that you pay) even thru friends and they send to you as a (gift) that is fraud plain and simple. :no:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Canadian parts versus US ?

theres no money involved with friends, I give stuff to them and vice versa, but I belong to big motorcycle association where we help each other.

you are insinuating what I do is illegal?
if you need a part I dont use and have,Its yours,. no charge,shipping free too,.
But we would have to meet like I do once a year in Nebraska .
we started 6 yrs ago, Put a face to a name..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts