Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 74 nova custom i had for 2 years when i brake it pulls to the left i replaced all the brakes front disc (rotors,calipers ,pads) also redone the rear does anyone know where to start could this be alighnment problem the car drives straight rides nice on the highway untill you apply the brakes

thanks tom

·
Registered
144 Posts
Alignment can be an issue, but also shocks or springs. If you have a shock that is worn out on side of the vehicle, it can cause more weight transfered to one side of the vehicle creating a pull. Check to see if you have oil leak from any of the shafts of the shocks. Also check all you suspension joints, bushing and wheel bearings. Anything with end play can add to your problem.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm sure you blead the system:confused:
Had the same problem once and found the right front had a little air in it,,not too bad on a slow stop,but a panic:eek: stop would pull the wheel out of your hands.

RED67:chev:

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Assuming your brakes are all new and installed/operating correctly, I would look at your alignment- specifically your caster. Also, as most others have said already look into worn suspension parts. Is their any clunking or noise associated with your issue? Does it pull very hard, slightly drift, how severe? Does it pull more/less when you apply more braking force?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sounds exactly what al89 said. Brake hoses...are collapseing.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Had new tires installed on my 69 nova and when i left, about five miles later it started to pull to the left under braking.... went back a day later and they had used the impact gun and pulled off the back of the wheel stud and the backing got caught between the drum and shoes. I told them no no no impact!!!!!!!! But we turned it down to 175 psi!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely check your brake hoses ... sometimes they look okay, but can 'bubble' under pressure. In fact, you may want to just go ahead and replace them with stainless hoses. If you replaced everything else in your front disc setup, you should consider replacing them even if they aren't your problem. They are now the weakest link.

When you figure out the problem, please post it ... I know I'd like to know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes replace the hoses.I have a 84 camaro that had the same problem and I replaced the calipers and blead the system and it still would pull to one side. I talked to a mechanic and he said to replace the hoses and that solved the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts