Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tough is it getting a steering column out? I want to install an Ididit in my 67 Nova that had column shift 3 speed. I don't see that the car has a "rag" joint. I never did this before obviously and would like someone with experience to give me the best way to go about this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
the steering shaft is a one peice going into the steering box (no rag joint). no way to take it off the box, have to cut it for an after market column...

the column slides off the shaft after removing the steering wheel and a few other bolts down lower

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
67 is supposed to have a rag-joint. 62-66 has the one piece steering shaft. Maybe someone swapped in a 66 box and column?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cutting steering shaft

If i have to cut the steering shaft can i still use the steering box, or will i have to get another one?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
If i have to cut the steering shaft can i still use the steering box, or will i have to get another one?
If you've got the original 67 steering setup on the car, it should look like this:

http://www.67chevyii.com/referenceimages/steeringbox_oncar.jpg

There is a small clamp that holds the end of the steering column onto the steering box. It's not really a "rag joint". It's just a female 36 spline input on the box, with a 36 spline shaft from the column. The input has a gap that the clamp squeezes to force it to grip the column's output shaft. Loosening this clamp, disconnecting the pitman arm, and then removing the steering box bolts from the frame should let the box fall free.

Sometimes the steering column to steering box spline joint gets sorta gummy, so you may have to work at it a bit to get it to drop, but it will eventually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering column

if you've got the original 67 steering setup on the car, it should look like this:

http://www.67chevyii.com/referenceimages/steeringbox_oncar.jpg

there is a small clamp that holds the end of the steering column onto the steering box. It's not really a "rag joint". It's just a female 36 spline input on the box, with a 36 spline shaft from the column. The input has a gap that the clamp squeezes to force it to grip the column's output shaft. Loosening this clamp, disconnecting the pitman arm, and then removing the steering box bolts from the frame should let the box fall free.

sometimes the steering column to steering box spline joint gets sorta gummy, so you may have to work at it a bit to get it to drop, but it will eventually.
now that is what i needed. Thanks very much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts