Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, another question regarding my steering wheel. (I'm switching from a Concours to SS wheel) But the Chiltons manual shows a different set up. I have a pin, spring, and some small black thing as shown in the pictures below. I was wondering what the function of these parts and where they are located in the steering wheel, and how to re-install this steering wheel with the parts installed.

EDIT: We got the Concours steering wheel off but there is a wire for the horn that connected to a small tab in the Concours wheel, there is no place for this little wire to go. Any ideas? EDIT is 2nd set of photos.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Push down on the round plastic tube at the base of the wire & twist, it'll come out, then put the other spring, contact pin in, & twist the plastic keeper back in. I didn't have the right pieces to mine, so I just ran the wire through & soldered it to the big contact that holds the horn cover on.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look on the back of the wheel should be a tab.
There is no tab on the back of the steering wheel, or center cap for the steering wheel because it is plastic/vinyl.

Push down on the round plastic tube at the base of the wire & twist, it'll come out, then put the other spring, contact pin in, & twist the plastic keeper back in. I didn't have the right pieces to mine, so I just ran the wire through & soldered it to the big contact that holds the horn cover on.
Did you use the steering wheel like mine or did you use a differenty style?

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Push down on the round plastic tube at the base of the wire & twist, it'll come out, then put the other spring, contact pin in, & twist the plastic keeper back in.
This is what needs to be done, I have the same wheel on the El Camino and had the same wire for the stock wheel. You have all the parts you need to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Adam if you push in and turn the existing plastic sleeve holding the wire it will be released and can be pulled out. Next slide the spring in the hole, then the pin with the flat side against the spring and last the black plastic retainer. When installing the wheel remove the horn assembly by removing the 3 screws, under the cup will be a spring plate. Now slide the wheel on with the big hole over the post that the pin is sticking out of. Then install the spring plate, the cup and the 3 screws. The orange plastic is to insulate the circuit so the horn only sounds when the button is pushed.

Install spring

install pin and retainer

next the wheel

spring washer

cup, make sure the notch is up or the horn button will be upside down.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Philip, you are the master of 4th generation Novas!!! We followed your pictures and it worked, it was those 3 screws in the wheel that was throwing us off as well as those 3 pieces (Thanks 76 SS). Thanks again for taking the time to take pictures and explain.

I'll try to take a picture later of the new steering wheel, and how it compliments the interior with the wood grain accents.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
I did pick up a few things in the last 45 years of working on GM cars and trucks, but not enough to be a "master" :D

As I was taking the car apart for the photos the horn kept sounding. It woke up the gf, the grand daughter and the neighbors, none of them were real happy about it :devil:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I did pick up a few things in the last 45 years of working on GM cars and trucks, but not enough to be a "master" :D

As I was taking the car apart for the photos the horn kept sounding. It woke up the gf, the grand daughter and the neighbors, none of them were real happy about it :devil:
Apologies to everyone bothered by the horn :yes:, but I hope they appreciate the fact you help A LOT of people who are clueless.

If "master" is not the correct term, how about "guru"? :D

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
I drive all day long, most days over 100 miles on the job, most of it in town and another 70 for the round trip commute . The in town traffic is nuts, people here just can not drive normally; but once you reach the rural roads it is a pleasure to drive as far as traffic goes, just watch for the pot holes :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
The only time I drove too far was when I bought the Nova. Ha!

...and the other time was when I got on the Freeway for the first time. I was North-Bound and I just kept going and going because all the Exits were closed:eek:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures!

I just remembered that I never posted pictures! So here are 2 that I took with my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts