Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I bought a Mallory Comp 9000 Dist, coil, and Hyfire ignition box. I followed all directions on install, and when I tried to fire it up, I have no spark. I checked with a fuse tester, and when the ignition is on, I show power from both positive and negative terminals on the coil:confused: . Now the reason I am mad, is that years ago with another Nova I had, I had the same exact problem. Now is this because maybe the module is bad? Anyone that has run a Mallory Dist, please let me know if that is what happens, or have any idea what is going on. I appreciate any help

·
Registered
475 Posts
Did you install a power filter in the wiring to the module? IF you didnt then there is a chance that the module may be bad........if there is a power spike higher than the required voltage for the module then it CAN blow the module.
Mallory recomends this usually in their instructions. It has to be bought seperate, like $35, good insurance though.
I have known several people that bash Mallory because the mosules dont last. I dont think any of them had the power filter. I have had 2 Mallory distributors and never a problem, the one I have now has been in the car for almost 5 years.
Heres a link to the part.........
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA-29351&N=115&autoview=sku
Did you call their tech support? Usually pretty helpful to solve problems.
Also, Im pretty sure that the warranty is void if you didnt use a filter..........

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If I remember right the instrucions are not to clear on the pic of the coil wireing. Some of the wires don't go to the coil like it shows in the pic they are on a conector that attches to the top of the coil. If you run a box you don't need a resistor on you dis. power wire. I never did on mallory stuff I had, but if you don't have a box then you need to run a resistor to cut the voltage. If your box has a rev limiter built in check to see if the chips are in the right place to make it fire. If you think thete is a problem with any of it send it too them they will check it out even if its not new. They always did good by me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shawn63 said:
Have you checked to see if you still have power at the coil while the engine is cranking over?
Haven't checked, but will as soon as I get a chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts