Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Newb here. Im pulling the 250 inline six out of my 72 nova to do a tranny swap and complete some other work. Got any reccomendations on things i should take care of while engine is out of the car. I got to fix a broken stud on the manifold and check out a crack also on the manifold.
Also the valve of some sort appears to have a broken spring. How can i fix this and what is it? its right in the cent of the pic

·
Registered
542 Posts
if you need to do anything to the cam or timing gears now is the time to do it with the engine out of the car.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
You can probably bring that to a machine shop, they can remove it n replace it for a cost ....

Doesnt involve anytime either ( drop it off n pick it up )

I have had the same problem and they did it without any problem ..... And how they did it, I dont have a clue .....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi guys. Newb here. Im pulling the 250 inline six out of my 72 nova to do a tranny swap and complete some other work. Got any reccomendations on things i should take care of while engine is out of the car. I got to fix a broken stud on the manifold and check out a crack also on the manifold.
Also the valve of some sort appears to have a broken spring. How can i fix this and what is it? its right in the cent of the pic

The valve is a heat riser valve, the spring is a thermal spring. Valve closed when cold, spring heats up and opens the valve. It's supposed to help the engine heat up quicker when working properly. They usually break, make sure it's in the open position and forget it IMHO.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Wire it open, if you forget to do that it will go tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic and be really annoying. I had one of those valves go bad and it took a while to figure where the noise was coming from

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you referring to the broken stud or deal with the valve? Sorry.

You can probably bring that to a machine shop, they can remove it n replace it for a cost ....

Doesnt involve anytime either ( drop it off n pick it up )

I have had the same problem and they did it without any problem ..... And how they did it, I dont have a clue .....

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
If you've got any oil leaks around the oil pan, side covers, valve cover, etc.,
now's the easiest time to replace the gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts