Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Waterpump pulley sits out.

Bought a freshened up 350 motor real simple one belt for alternator. No AC or per steering for me.
I just noticed the crank and waterpump pulleys don't align.

It was a recent rebuild and not driven could not have been.

I have not dealt with pulley problems before. Its a short waterpump should I just buy two pulleys off the shelf and try to align alternator to them or try to just replace one of the pulleys?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Post up a picture. It may need a long water pump. RICK

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
My guess would be that you have a crank pulley for a long water pump. With you're mounting does the alternator align with the water pump, or the crank?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old style Alt aligns with waterpump .
I will have to take pictures.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Old style Alt aligns with waterpump .
I will have to take pictures.
Since the alternator aligns with the water pump now I would just replace the crank pulley. Most (if not all?) 350s left the factory with long water pumps :yes:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Since I have the short pump I guess I can just look for the matching crank pulley?
Should I take the WP pulley off and measure it to match height?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Defently check that the harmonic balancer is all the way in , just had this problem, pushed it in more and they lined up, now I'm just try a get it to start timing is off
X2 don't beat the dampaner on. Use a installing tool. RICK

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think the local parts stores loan them out for free. Just give them a deposit and the deposit is returned when you return the tool. Unless you really like the tool ? RICK

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal , I will check Oreilys to see if they loan tools.
The harm balancer is nasty old and I might as well replace it too and right now with the engine out !

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'll buy or borrow a tool
Just use a proper threaded bolt with washers.make sure you have plenty of thread contact when you start.

google the part numbers on the pulleys that you have installed.Determine what they are for(,short or long waterpump).
You can find this informtion by simply looking those part numbers up.

If you do have the correct pulleys for a short waterpump setup dont be surprised if they still dont align.I have seen this condition before.

The waterpump shaft can be off a bit mis-locating the pulley flange.It can also be a harmonic balancer not properly installed all the way.Either of these situations can easily be remedied.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am going to try to seat the harmonic balancer first. Hope that is it as this is a fresh rebuild.

If it ends up being the pulley, do I shim or look for another pulley?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
early short water pump pulleys, water pump & crank are all the same, so if the pulleys run true and aren't bent the pulleys aren't the issue.

more than likely the pump hub is off or the dampner isn't completely installed...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Waterpump pulley pictured

It's the Waterpump pulley that sits out and about a full inch .:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
would another pulley on the crank make it align up?

I think the 2 groove crank pulley is gm # 3876722

In fact, some cars had a single groove pulley to add on, making 3 groove's available at the crank.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts