Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a Type II power steering pump on my car. Never had power steering before. Its a 1 grove PS pump pulley. The engine is BBC short pump with the alternator on the driver side. So the problem is if I use 1 belt for the crank/water/alt, and the PS pump the PS pump doesn't get enough belt on it.
So the question is can I run the water pump and alt. on 1 belt and run a seperate belt on crank/water pump and PS. The crank and water pump both hve 2 groves. Do you need to run the alternator off the crank?

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
When using a short pump on your BBC and not running AC you need a 1 groove water pump pulley and a 1 groove crank pulley. There a second lower pulley that nests inside the 1 groove lower. This adds the second groove you need to run your P/S pump. You should only need a 1 groove pulley on your P/S pump. The picture below shows the lower p/s pulley nested inside the single groove crank pulley. It is easiest to use the early style pump with the shaft with a keyway and nut to hold the pulley on.
Tim

http://www.srbymichael.com/manufacturers/alangrove/images/407L.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts