Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my water pump, crankshaft and power steering pulleys. The crank pulley is 3 groove, the water pump pulley is 2 groove and the power steering pump pulley is 2 groove. I've got a long water pump.

Question#1 Assuming a long water pump, are all 2 groove pulleys the same and all 3 groove pulleys the same?

Question #2 My current Power Steering pulley is 2 groove. Can I mount a single groove pulley anywhere on the shaft so the fan belt lines up? Also, how do you remove and replace the pulley on the PS pump. I guess I would need a puller and press?

Oh..and I'm considering pulleys below. There seems to be a discrepancy as to whether its long or short water pump in the ad. I would need to verify that and diameters.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,930 Posts
Hey Kim .............

Most thing I can say about ANY GM engine "Pulleys" . . . . . . . if you have them - your good .

If you're looking for them ................ it could be a 'crap - shoot' .
Not trying too send out bad "vibes" . . . . .

and , think this - - - some 2 - groove w/p pulleys = can BE COME 3 - groove pulleys .
look at this picture :

1. - - a 2-groove w/p pulley ; then add on power steering (you now need a p/s pulley) , so they (GM) ,
......... added on the p/s pulley = simple (until you go looking for that extra one ) .

2. - - exact same pulley - - as above . . .

3. - - again - - - all 3 pictures = are the same , set .

I'm not trying too jinx you . . . . . but search around , . . .

4. - - this IS also true for the "crankshaft (balancer) pulley - - - - going from a 2 - groove pulley ,
. . . . . and needing an extra pulley - - - - for when you just added on the "above w/p pulley"
. . . . . for that extra belt too run the (new ) power / steering pump .

Hey - - - - - I'm just saying - - - - - make sure to look around - - - - - - some single pulleys can fit ........................... and , change from one set too something completely different .

ps - - - you can look in your assembly manual - - - some of those "pulley part numbers are listed"

jim

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Thanks... My 3 groove crank pulley has a larger dia groove on the outside and 2 smaller dia on the inside. Same with my 2 groove WP pulley-- larger on outside with a smaller dia groove on the inside. I've seen some pulleys that look like all grooves are same dia. Not sure how important diameters are but figure the exact same would be the surest way.

I don't have an assembly manual but I want to replace pulleys with same as stock ones... I haven't been able to find listings for specific yrs and cars...In my case 79 Phoenix 305 with LWP, AC, PS but no smog pump. It no longer has AC but I've used the same pulleys. I've been having trouble throwing the PS belt lately so I thought I may just replace pulleys as well as belt.

Interesting to see a two groove can be made into a 3 groove!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have you considered a serpentine system? You can got to a pull a part and pull the system from a late 80's S10 with a 4.3 v6 and bolt directly to your small block. You would have to change to the same style water pump.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you considered a serpentine system? You can got to a pull a part and pull the system from a late 80's S10 with a 4.3 v6 and bolt directly to your small block. You would have to change to the same style water pump.

That sounds interesting. I guess I would need a new power steering pump too or at least a serpentine pulley... My PS pump is 86 Monte Carlo SS.. What's the advantage of A SERPENTINE SYSTEM?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Kim

I clicked on your 1st post ....................... and , look at your p/s pump pulley (that's on your car - now) .
That p/s pump pulley - pictured - uses an older style p/s pump = that has a "bolt - on type pulley ,
with a 'shaft key' . They also had a later style p/s pump . . . . where as , the p/s pump pulley =
was a 'press-on' type pulley & pump shaft . .
See what I mean ............. look at u'r current p/s pump ........... 'press-on type , with NO Nut' ............
or - - older style p/s pump with pump pulley held on with a 'hex - nut' .
(you would want a p/s pulley - that fit to u'r pump ............................................ make sense ) .

and , have you checked on the PYforms.com

I'm just thinking out loud .

jim

·
Registered
125 Posts
The advantage of a serpentine is a single belt drives all accessories, no need for multiple belts also looks a lot cleaner the issues you may run into is placement of alternator and ac compressor and compressor style, i have setup from a 1999 5.7L out of a suburban that has the the position of the compressor and alternator swapped and also my car is a 1966 so alternator and compressor are new styles than came with my car originally. This may or may not be an asset to you, it was for me

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
this old post - - shows the old style p/s pump - - with bolt - on type p/s pump & p/s pulley .
Also , has some Pulley info , down the page .

power steering pump/bracket prob | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

just giving out some different info .

also , your current p/s 'pulley' . . should have a GM / Saginaw 'part number stamped on it' .

like this - - (this number is for a 250 Chevy six) .

jim

·
Registered
484 Posts
Early S10 had the alternator and AC compressor on way and then I think in 96 it swapped sides. You would have to run an R4 compressor but the AC lines from the older S10 will connect. The PS pump should work if you use the pulley from the S10. If you go to a pull a part then take the Water pump pulley, PS pulley, alternator pulley and crank pulley. And get ALL of the hardware. I ran mine with the early S10 kit with the AC on the passenger side until my LS swap.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I think he has a L6 guys not a v8. Look at the pic. you see the oil filter and the timing cover is at a angle. So not a v8

·
Registered
125 Posts
He said its a 305 out of a pontiac phoenix has to be pre 1980 in 1980 phoenix became front wheel drive based on chevy citation platform so just about any serpentine belt system from a pre LS v8 or v6 should work. If he goes serpentine the choice will boil down to which serpentine setup pre 1996 or post 1996 and that will basically be which side the ac compressor and alternator are located and the type of compressor used will also determine that

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
OK .................. those pictures in post # 2 ................... are on a 250 six

But, I have had V-8 pump pulleys come the same way (a long time back) . . . .
and , in post # 8 . . . . . I stated that p/s pump pulley - - showing the 'Saginaw / GM part number' ;
was on a 250 six engine .

I have seen part numbers on V-8 pulleys also . . . . . . (I have a few in the shop, now) .

Kim's Phoenix - - is a V-8 car .

jim

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input and info. The engine was originally a 305 but now a 350. I think I will stick with the old v-belt setup. In the pictures below note that the crank pulley is 3 grooves and the PS pump is 2 grooves. I am sure that was to accommodate the AC compressor belt as it used to be an AC car.. I'm thinking I could go to a 2 groove crank pulley and a single groove PS pump pulley now since there is no compressor. Am I thinking right? Also, how do I get the PS pump pulley off ...and back on? Oh--and the one picture makes it look like the PS pump way out of alignment--just my bad photography!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Power steering pulley puller/installer kit. Not a very expensive tool or you can usually rent one at your local parts store.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I ordered new chrome pulleys... Ad said they would add 25 HP so I figure a good investment! :D Seriously, I need to change both fan belts, so why not put some chrome pulleys on too and make it look nicer? Also ordered a chrome Alternator Fan and pulley. I no longer have AC but I couldn't be sure I could go to a double Crank pulley so I stayed with the 3 groove Crank and a 2 groove PS pulley like I already have. Also I couldn't find a press-on single groove PS Pump pulley anyway for my 86 Monte PS Pump, so I stayed with the 2 groove. So I will have an empty groove on my Crank pulley and PS Pump pulley. Pictures when done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts