Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the drivers side head today. Seems I have the 041X heads. I think these are the larger 165CC castings. Probably bring a small fortune on e-bay.;) One quick measurement shows piston is .030 in the hole and head gasket is .041. I will be CC'ing the heads and taking more precise measurements this week when my equipment arrives if anybody is interested in the head numbers.:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot... YEA HAWKS!!! Bring on the steelers.:)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Did you pull your head from yer a** or off your motor? :p :) :D Just kiddin ya! Did you get those used aluminum heads on eBay?

It would take a lot more than 165 CC's of intake volume to get his head to fit up that hole:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I spent most my 20's with my head up my a**:eek: This time it was off the motor though.;) Didn't buy the ones off e-bay, it actually turned out to be a scam. Can you believe that....on e-Bay??:rolleyes: Really got me thinking though about building for this motor and worrying about next year when it comes. You probably think I'm nuts but I'm liking the E-Tec 170's. I'll see after I get the rest apart and measured though.

Maybe I can run a thinner head gasket to help the quench?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Repointer said:
I think I spent most my 20's with my head up my a**:eek: This time it was off the motor though.;) Didn't buy the ones off e-bay, it actually turned out to be a scam. Can you believe that....on e-Bay??:rolleyes: Really got me thinking though about building for this motor and worrying about next year when it comes. You probably think I'm nuts but I'm liking the E-Tec 170's. I'll see after I get the rest apart and measured though.

Maybe I can run a thinner head gasket to help the quench?

ya that will help...and will help your compression ratio too.....I did a quick check on the Keith Black site with your specs (and a few I had to fill in myself:eek: ) and you were in the 9.5 or so range...very inactuate however...you will get better numbers as you know exactly what you have...

I'm sure you have thought of them but have you looked at Vortecs....they really do seem to be very good for the price...they have very impressive midrange flow number right out of the box:)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Those vortec-based aluminum E-Tecs are great heads. They outflow my 062 castings and also weigh about 40# less (for the pair) than iron heads. If your deck surface is nice and true, you could run a shim-type head gasket and get your quench distance down to around .45" or so.

I'd make absolutely sure your .30" deck height is correct first. Most undecked 350 blocks I've seen have the pistons .20" - .25" in the hole. However, if you are using the stock-dished pistons, this will more than likely negate any quench effect.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
how is the price of the E-Tecs compaired to the iron vortecs??

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
The E-Tecs are about $200 more per head than the modified Vortecs, so about $400 more total. Don't forget you'll need a new intake manifold too. If you get the E-Tecs, I think they accept perimeter bolt valve covers and the centerbolt valve covers, so you won't have to get new valve covers.

interesting...so are they basicly the same head as the iron vortec? for example would they need to be modified for valve lifts beyond .480
(I think that is the number:confused: )

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be checking everything this week to have some accurate numbers. I have the four valve relief flat tops. I think the E-tec's are around $529 a piece from Summit. Everything I read seems to be positive about them. They have an excellent E/I percentage at almost 80%. In the DM series they made excellent numbers even beating out the 200's all through the curve with a decent sized cam. I was going to buy a new air gap either way I go and I'm always for taking 40lbs off the front end.:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
69NovaSS said:
interesting...so are they basicly the same head as the iron vortec? for example would they need to be modified for valve lifts beyond .480
(I think that is the number:confused: )
I think they can handle .575" right out of the box. They also did some work on the exhaust to make them flow better.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why does the site kick me off after 10 minutes or so of inactivity? I'm always getting up to do stuff and when I come back it logged me out?:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Repointer said:
I think they can handle .575" right out of the box. They also did some work on the exhaust to make them flow better.

Ya I was just looking at the flow numbers for them compaired to the vortecs...they only flow more in the intake side from .500 lift and up (at .500 it is just barely but at .600 it is by a good margin they flow better) BUT on the exhaust side they flow better basicly from .300 and up....:)

Now the extra lift that the E-Tecs can run out of the box does close the margin a bit on the intial cost as you have to spend extra on the votecs to be able to use that much lift;)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more thing about flow numbers. In the DM series they tested the E-Tec's and Air gap against the Brodix RR 180's and HVH. From all the published info I found the RR's outflowed the E-tec's across the board, but here were the dyno results. Both with a Hydraulic roller 234/[email protected] .574/.584 w/Comp 1.6 rockers.

E-Tecs RR 180

RPM TQ HP TQ HP
3000 403 231 373 213
4000 444 338 400 305
5000 458 436 424 404
6000 425 485 408 466

Peak 458 486 425 469

I just found it interesting, thought I'd share.:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Starting CC'ing the heads today. First time, might not be real accurate, but I think I'm close on the first few. The chambers are right about 64 and the intake ports are only around 153. Mortec says the "041X" are suppossed to be165CC? I will be checking them all by this weekend.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts