Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help, looks like PUI can only be ordered through their dealers,Summit Jegs etc and they show no colors, they just list light blue dark blue agua etc and all they show is a generic hard headliner. SMS has 35 bad BBB reviews of people waiting months and some over a year for their stuff. Is the stuff from Classic any good? I need some advice from people that have already gone through this. I need everything headliner carpet seat covers etc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I ordered mine thru CI only because it was readily available. And It did not fit....bow inserts did not align with bow mounts and it didn’t include enough material for the sail panel. Classic would have exchanged it or taken it back but I had it for almost a year before installing it. Quality and craftsmanship was pretty good though on both the liner and visors.

I would try Rudy at Modern Performance.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Looking for help, looks like PUI can only be ordered through their dealers,Summit Jegs etc and they show no colors, they just list light blue dark blue agua etc and all they show is a generic hard headliner. SMS has 35 bad BBB reviews of people waiting months and some over a year for their stuff. Is the stuff from Classic any good? I need some advice from people that have already gone through this. I need everything headliner carpet seat covers etc.

Why not just take it to an upholstery guy that knows what he’s doing..?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pui

I bought pui interior from restoration world in huber heights ohio. It was just your standard black though. They are good people and will answer questions best they can. I got all carpet, headliner,door panels seat covers ect.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've used PUI and TWI, both seem fine to me. You can call PUI, they are in KY and they will send you samples.
I've purchased PUI from Speedway and had great service and pricing.

There was an ACC carpet thread on here recently and there seemed to be general agreement that the quality and fit of the ACC product has slipped.
For carpet insight you might want want to look back at those posts.

·
3,138 Posts
I would not try Rudy at Modern Performance.

I would try a major retailer like Summit or Jegs, one that has the best return policy. If something doesn't fit right, demand a return or replacement, and they'll have a direct line to PUI. Should PUI get enough things returned to them that don't fit, things will change.

SMS has put out great product, but it takes a LONG time. I've been impressed with what they have done for me and what I have seen on other cars, so they're output is good. They're surly on the phone and hard to reach, so my experience has been world class product with grumpy mom and pop storefront.

Sometimes a good upholstery guy can get the job done well, but sometimes, even good ones, don't exactly know what you're after. On an original restoration, I'd use SMS, but get my orders in early, and explain exactly what you want.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used PUI and TWI, both seem fine to me. You can call PUI, they are in KY and they will send you samples.
I've purchased PUI from Speedway and had great service and pricing.

There was an ACC carpet thread on here recently and there seemed to be general agreement that the quality and fit of the ACC product has slipped.
For carpet insight you might want want to look back at those posts.
I dont know if pui was bought out or what but their website has nothing anymore and the contact email does not work.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not just take it to an upholstery guy that knows what he’s doing..?
Unless you want to spend 10k to have them make it they want premade stuff. And then its a crap shoot what the final product will be.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I used put from lutty's chevy in 2009 i purchased all interior seat covers door panels plastic front and back window trim carpet all great. Seat foam had to be trimmed headliner box was marked wrong they made it right quickly.Dash pad came from some where else.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just ordered pui seat covers from ss396. Now I'm crossing my fingers.lol
You will be pleased.
Rent a steamer for the day and the covers will slip on a bit easier and you can steam out any small wrinkles and straighten up all the seams.
Lastly, I'd spend $20 on a descent pair of hog ring pliers. The the throw-away pliers that come with the hog ring kits are junk.

·
Registered
209 Posts
basically lots of companies are selling PUI's pre-made covers and door panels, just charging a different price.

so then it came down to who gives the best price (AND has good service ratings).

tough to beat Speedway with the free shipping and reasonable pricing, and they sent me an additional $25 off. they did have an issue with their product listing for red covers for hard top (incorrect product #) so just make sure you flesh out all the details during the order.

if you are looking for seat foam, beware the Al Knoch Interiors bucket seat foam (also sourced from Speedway). way thicker than stock, but worst part was the bottom does not have the stock-style overhanging foam with fabric to cover the edges of the seat frame. granted, it was my first time, but did not know this was a necessary thing. also, maybe trimming it would help but was not sure how far to trim and did not have the time to fix.

good luck!

-Rusty

·
Registered
890 Posts
Code:
Here's a picture of my pui headliner. Keep in mind I put it in and never put 1 in before. Also my rear seat with pui cover. I'd did it myself also. Never done 1 before either.
That PUI headliner install looks super clean heckster. That’s what I’m talk’n about for product fitment and 1st time installer. Great job!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the headliner, carpet and package tray from SMS today. They said 3 weeks for the carpet and headliner, the package tray will take longer. I will keep you posted. Hopefully around Christmas I get them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts