Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with PST? We purchase a whole poly graphite front end kit (sway bar, tie rods, ball joints pitman & idler arms, control arm bushings, new coils and kyb shocks) as well as 3 leaf rear springs and kyb shocks for the rear.

After 6k miles of driving we have some problems. First the front end has the "squishing" sound whenever we go over a bump. I have been told by 2 separate mechanics that the upper control arm bushings are going bad as they are pushing out.

When we finished the front end and sat it on the ground it was high as a kite. PST swore they sent us small block springs. The front end shop could barely get the alignment in spec. So we switched out the rear kyb's for some monroe air shocks which made it look much better (level) but the ride suffers.

Now the passenger rear is sagging and we took it back for the rear shocks. With the car on the rack brand new shocks on this side drops the tire much lower than driver side. We are suspecting the spring is bad.

Where did we go wrong here?

·
3,863 Posts
Did you leave all the bolts securing the bushings finger tight until all the cars weight was on the front end? If everything was tightened up while the car was on jackstands that would cause the frontend to sit really high and put the bushings under alot of stress as the car tried to settle to its intended ride height. This can also affect the rear ride height if the front end was bound up and didn't settle the same on both sides.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I ordered a front end kit from PST but chose the 'original' style. Sorry, I haven't had the car on the road yet. I did get good service from pST and the parts fit right in. Like 72 Ventura advised, I did not torque anything up yet. Figured I'd go over all that later.

·
3,863 Posts
Another question: Did you use a torque wrench and the correct torque specs for the control arms or did you use spot torque (tighten as hard as you can until you see spots)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting

I have a 78 Nova and I just finished rebuilding the entire front end with a PST kit. I had also replaced the front springs with high lift springs. I thought I would lift the back and front up a little to put bigger tires on it, besides I had changed from a straight 6 to a V-8. The old springs were a little weak...the headers would hit pavement when transversing dips in the road. The springs up front jacked the front way taller than the rear leaf springs did the back. So, I replaced them with regular height V-8 Nova springs for the front. It lowered it to a more level height. The interesting part is that I recently took my 78 to Black's Tire and they told me that they could only adjust the toe and could not do anything with caster or camber. They said their machine said to remove shims, but there weren't any there. When I originally started that project and took the upper control arm off there were many shims, however when I put it back together the shims pulled the top of the tire in so much it looked ridiculous...so I took them out and took it to have it aligned.

I hadn't thought that it could be the PST kit causing a problem.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts