Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original 283/220 hp 3 speed on the column, mint original interior ( dash, door panels, headliner , carpet, seats, etc. no damage at all. 78,XXX mile

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to sure why that happens with the pics ,Sorry. Any thoughts on changing out 3 speed for a original 4 speed console and shifter....I have all parts , column, console, and shifter

·
14,138 Posts
I don't think I've ever come across a 3 speed manual L77. As Dave mentioned, it's your car to do with as you want. If it's substantially original, I'd be inclined to not mess with it too much, but that's the way I lean:).

Bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very nice find. I am one of those mentioned that is jealous. Interior looks amazing after all the years. Congrats to you sir.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I've ever come across a 3 speed manual L77. As Dave mentioned, it's your car to do with as you want. If it's substantially original, I'd be inclined to not mess with it too much, but that's the way I lean:).

Bob
I understand completely , if I do decide to convert to a 4 speed, I have a factory original hump, console, steering column and shifter. I’d keep cutout for hole and all parts. I will drive and enjoy for now. I’d appreciate more thoughts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ralley are coming off. I’m going original Bias ply 14 x 6.95 and 66 mag style hub caps. Carb, distributor , exhaust system , alternator and heat choke tube are not correct. Those are all definitely getting changed back correctly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd keep the 3 on the tree too. My Dad had '71 Suburban with three on the tree and taught me to drive it when I was 13. I still have the 350/bellhousing/clutch and muncie 3 speed trans from it. Love that color. Beautiful car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Welcome from The Villages, Florida.
Nice find and rare original configured car.
I like em original like my '69 Nova. That's my vote.
Good luck in what ever you decide.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
One more comment: When I began driving (well, legally...) in '65, both of our family cars were 'three-on-the-tree' models. One was a '51 Chevy that my dad later traded-in on our first Nova - a '66 SS with the L30 and a 4-speed. A few years ago, when I was searching for an older cruiser, I looked at quite a few different cars; but really wanted another stock '51 - which I eventually found (link below).

One of the things that makes the '51 really enjoyable for me is taking younger people for rides. Most of them have never before experienced a car with a 'column shift' and are usually fascinated by the lay-out. I like it because it adds to the trip-back-in-time feeling of driving a car 'the way they used to be'!

·
Super Moderator
4,100 Posts
I'd copy most responses too on leaving the 3-speed. Looks to be a very original car and super rare with that combination. I personally like 3-speed column shifts on a Nova, and even more prefer keeping the cars original if they have survived well this long. Great looking car, and pretty unique for its options! If you are a mind to do it, why not post some pics of the engine, especially if it's still in pretty original condition.

I know they made '49-'54 Chevrolets with powerglides, but I can't imagine them being anything but 3-speeds. My dad bought new '51, '53 and '54 Chevrolets when he was young and in the chips--all 3 on the tree cars. Just seems to fit with how I think of those great Chevrolets, and love your '51

·
14,138 Posts
Ralley are coming off. I’m going original Bias ply 14 x 6.95 and 66 mag style hub caps.
Just a suggestion that before you install bias ply tires, find a car so equipped and drive it. You won't believe how awful they are after driving on radials. I know of several owners who put original type bias ply tires on their cars and almost immediately switched back to radials. There are some radials out there now that have the bias ply look. Might be worth checking out.

Bob

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a suggestion that before you install bias ply tires, find a car so equipped and drive it. You won't believe how awful they are after driving on radials. I know of several owners who put original type bias ply tires on their cars and almost immediately switched back to radials. There are some radials out there now that have the bias ply look. Might be worth checking out.

Bob
Ok , good advice. It’s all about the look for me. Can you lead me the right direction for that ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts