Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 2 weeks ago i traded my 1990 camaro for a 1973 Chevy Nova with a 283 and a power-glide in it, just looking for some tips power adders and try to make this car as badass as i can. also what would you guys say the H.P would be at it has a 1965 283 C.I in it and has 350 heads on it but with the power pack it was suppose to have like 280H.P and it is suppose to be bored .6 over but im not sure about that.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
:welcome: to Steve's Nova Site!! Always glad to have another Nova owner!! BUT..........................

:worthless:

:pics: of your Nova!!

:ragtop:

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Overbore of .060 doesn't necessary make much more power and the 350 heads probably dropped compression. I want to say the 283 powerpack heads had 58cc chamber where the 350 head could be as big as 76cc's depending on which head you have.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Welcome. If it was me the first thing I would do would be to ask yourself how it runs. does it have a miss - does it burn oil - does it have any oil leaks.
How does it stop - any sign of leaks around the master cyclinder - check around all the wheel cyclinder too. How the body look - any signs of rust - bondo - repairs. How does it drive - any shakes or shimmys - does it go down the street straight when you let go of the steering wheel. how the tires - are the front tires wore anywhere - inside or outside edges. How the filters - air - oil - gas.
These are some of the thing that you should be concerned about before you start to worry about making it faster. Make sure first that the car is safe for you to make it faster. The guys on this site will always try to help you with any question you have about your car. I am sure many more will be welcoming you to the site shorly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. If it was me the first thing I would do would be to ask yourself how it runs. does it have a miss - does it burn oil - does it have any oil leaks.
How does it stop - any sign of leaks around the master cyclinder - check around all the wheel cyclinder too. How the body look - any signs of rust - bondo - repairs. How does it drive - any shakes or shimmys - does it go down the street straight when you let go of the steering wheel. how the tires - are the front tires wore anywhere - inside or outside edges. How the filters - air - oil - gas.
These are some of the thing that you should be concerned about before you start to worry about making it faster. Make sure first that the car is safe for you to make it faster. The guys on this site will always try to help you with any question you have about your car. I am sure many more will be welcoming you to the site shorly.
Thanks for the advice, anyway how do you upload pics? last forum i belonged to you it was easier to contact an alien life form than post pics in threads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello and welcome. I have heard when you put 350 heads on a 283 it drops the compression. 350 heads match the 4.00 bore. A 283 has 3.875 bore. I have an old motors manual that covers 1962-1968 cars. The highest HP for a 283 was 220 HP. Last 283 was in 1967. Hope this helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not perfect but hey im 17 and i wanted a good muscle car that isn't restricted by emissions. i look at the potential and wish me luck with my project! :)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Just take your time and do it up the way you want. What are your long term goals. A show car or just a nice driver. I learn when I did my 64 just to take my time and whatever I had to fix to do it right the first time. When you buy parts get the ones you want. Do not spend money twice buying things like chrome valve covers when you really want something else. It all cost and you can throw alot of money at these thing. Enjoy building your car and it will all turn out good in the end. Keep us posted on your progress and keep those pics coming.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just take your time and do it up the way you want. What are your long term goals. A show car or just a nice driver. I learn when I did my 64 just to take my time and whatever I had to fix to do it right the first time. When you buy parts get the ones you want. Do not spend money twice buying things like chrome valve covers when you really want something else. It all cost and you can throw alot of money at these thing. Enjoy building your car and it will all turn out good in the end. Keep us posted on your progress and keep those pics coming.
long term wise i want to make a strip/track-day/daily driver car so probably get a 4spd 3.73 gears and about 300-450 H.P

·
Registered
527 Posts
Tips

Get the engine running so you can drive her around = this helps you by learning what your car is capable of, needs, etc (you may find you don't need a bigger engine). Purchase another engine to build a little at a time. Focus on the suspension for street/strip.
Brakes (rebuild them)- front disks, rear (disks or drum), manual or power brakes - alot of guys use manual on their drag cars (vacuum is low on high HP motors).
Rear End (gears/posi) - 10 bolt with a posi - purchase a good set of gears, not the ebay crap - get brand name here - it's worth it! Posi unit, use the factory from a camaro or s-10 4x4 or something, you can rebuild that to work for your strip use. Later you can build up a 9" rear end with a spool!
Tranny (rebuild performance shift kit) - if you have a TH350 now, get another and build it yourself for a street strip car. You can do this yourself and it's a great education for the rest of the car. If you want to get someone else to do it, call around but make sure they beef it up for the HP/Torque you want to run!
Interior (stock or modified) - since you're driving it, do the things that you need to do. Find some good gages and maybe a tach - radio is for old men and woosies:devil:

Listen to your engine breathe! That's music to my ears!

Set up a list of things needed to get it registered and on the road - these are priority,
then set up a list of things you need to build to make your goal on the strip.
If you are shooting for 12's (great first goal!), then build for that - do lots of research online! (but don't believe anyone...ask for help and see what everyone else is running) There are plenty of guys on here that love to help noobs like yourself! In a few years - you will be teaching others!

Have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get the engine running so you can drive her around = this helps you by learning what your car is capable of, needs, etc (you may find you don't need a bigger engine). Purchase another engine to build a little at a time. Focus on the suspension for street/strip.
Brakes (rebuild them)- front disks, rear (disks or drum), manual or power brakes - alot of guys use manual on their drag cars (vacuum is low on high HP motors).
Rear End (gears/posi) - 10 bolt with a posi - purchase a good set of gears, not the ebay crap - get brand name here - it's worth it! Posi unit, use the factory from a camaro or s-10 4x4 or something, you can rebuild that to work for your strip use. Later you can build up a 9" rear end with a spool!
Tranny (rebuild performance shift kit) - if you have a TH350 now, get another and build it yourself for a street strip car. You can do this yourself and it's a great education for the rest of the car. If you want to get someone else to do it, call around but make sure they beef it up for the HP/Torque you want to run!
Interior (stock or modified) - since you're driving it, do the things that you need to do. Find some good gages and maybe a tach - radio is for old men and woosies:devil:

Set up a list of things needed to get it registered and on the road - these are priority,
If you are shooting for 12's (great first goal!), then build for that - do lots of research online! (but don't believe anyone...ask for help and see what everyone else is running) There are plenty of guys on here that love to help noobs like yourself! In a few years - you will be teaching others!

thanks for the advice really useful i have a torker 2 intake and a holly 600cfm carb the intake is off because im getting the paint off of it and maybe powder coated all. I need for inspection is really tires and brakes, i was looking to do a disc brake conversion, coilovers, and i was planning on keeping the 283 since its damn near spot-less since it was a swap out of a 1965. I'm looking to just get a 350 turbo tranny but don't want to get ahead of myself here. Does this forum have a classifieds section because one thing that is bothering me is once its registered and road ready it has exhaust manifolds :/ im looking for street stock headers and run an x-pipe then 2.5 the rest of the way out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

and about not needing a radio i couldn't agree more everyone says im going to get tired of it after awhile but they don't understand.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Welcome

Looks like you have a car with good bones. Keep that primer covered - it loves to wick water to the metal underneath and that means rust that will show up later. X2 on the advice above, understand the car then make a plan. Just because it works on somebody else's car and sounds cool doesn't mean it will work with your car. We had a local guy who built the heck out of his Mustang with all sorts of trick stuff.....and the car wouldn't get out of it's own way...and it had nitrus! You've heard of "Eleanor", well that's a Levi.
Get it on the road, set a vision of what the car to be, then you can map how to get there. If you watch shows like "Overhaulin'" and "Chop-cut-rebuild" you see the most of the work and time is on the body and suspension, and it's a fact. It is time and money consuming. Motors and trannys can be changed out in a few hours.
Do your research, post some ideas, and enjoy the ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts