Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im tired of the season vets droping into a sportsman race like its easy pickens. I think it would be cool if they had a class for say beginers,
then novice,and so on ,pros,super pro. I know a few guys personaly
that do this very thing ,they can hit the number or very close to it
and their reaction times are almost always 00.9 or better. And if thats a prob they just dial slow and bumper you out.
I dont want to sound like a cry baby and i think im pretty good, rts are 0.80s
to sometimes 00.s and my package isnt bad, most days can tell what the cars going to run.
Does anyone here feel the same?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I wish my local track would do away with buy backs or limit them. I made it to the fourth round there one night and the number of cars racing never dropped. Every car in the field did a buy back until the track stopped it after the third round. It was the same as starting a race with 256 cars. I didn't get home until 0430 and when I left they were still racing the fifth round. This track has had the races go so long that the drivers decided to end the race and split the money. The sun was in the coming up and they were still racing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya promoters lookin for more money. did that in psca $20 buy backs,
but if you were in a position where you knew you and your car were on it you might buy back to huh.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Buy backs are usually at a track that doesn't have a good car count. They need to get a bit more income to survive. But three rounds of them ia a bit much. At Norwalk we have 400-450 cars a night and really don't have time for a buy back round. It's 7-8 rounds as it is. They have a Sportsman class that is 12.00 and up, no electronics, that Billy says is for entry level racers. But most are veterans that don't want to run electronics. I'll be racing the 65 in it when I get it finished. But he also has a class called Stock. That class IS for beginners and does not allow open headers or slicks. Of course you don't run for money either, just a trophy, but it's a 'get your feet wet' class. They usually do about 15-20 cars a night. After you build your confidence up and get a bit better than that .08 light average, you won't care who's in the other lane. Don't forget, ask questions on how to get a better light. How to make your car more consistant, etc. Racers will help racers. Or just ask on this board. Your car may just need a little more cool down time, or less air in the tires to be more consistant. And your lights just need a little tweakin. You'll be there with the confidence of winning. Just remember, you have a 50/50 chance of winning every round you race. And on that note, I'm going to get ready to go out to the track today. Good luck. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
There has never been an entry level class in drag racing. When I was 16 and went racing we ran G stock formula 5 I think it was. I drove my car every day as well as to the track. I raced with people who towed their race car there and never drove it on the street. That was 1963. Footbrake or no box is considered by some to be entry level because it pays less than Pro but there are alot of great racers in that class. Like Dave says it is no electronics not an entry level class. Adults and old teens learn and practice on T&T nights or there is a Jr Dragster as well as TRC classes for kids then you go race. It is a head game basically so if you got nerves of steel and don't get excited, you'll do beter than someone who gets intimidated or excited easily. Like most things you need to stay calm and focused. Experience gets you that usually.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats just it we cant get enough seat time. Our local track is california dragway,we could go to irwindale a bit farther but its 1/8th mile and the races we want to race are 1/4. cal doesnt offer a t&t day so we go to the street legals.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Thats just it we cant get enough seat time. Our local track is california dragway,we could go to irwindale a bit farther but its 1/8th mile and the races we want to race are 1/4. cal doesnt offer a t&t day so we go to the street legals.
im with you there i live 5 minutes away from cal speedway and we dont get any extra days or tnt to get our cars more consistent :no: the street legas are fun but you get maybe 5 passes and the track is prept really bad, psca events are cool im going to start entering braket 1 or open comp so i can try different lights a friend of mine said i may be better at a .4 pro tree but thats once a month or every 2 months

·
Registered
791 Posts
There has never been an entry level class in drag racing. It is a head game basically so if you got nerves of steel and don't get excited, you'll do beter than someone who gets intimidated or excited easily. Like most things you need to stay calm and focused. Experience gets you that usually.
that why I lose!!
I get excited very easy!!
I'm always pumped up..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to see a event where you have ameture class,novice class,
and sportsman.
If you win more than three events in any of the lower two you move up a class.
What realy pees me off is my son wont take my advice at least not all the time when im trying to school him on bracket racing.
but you know kids they know it all.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Sacramento Raceway has a Street legal event every Wednesday night. There are 2 lanes for American Cars, 2 lanes for Imports, and 1 lane for a specialty class. All beginners (or sometimes not), but after you win 3 times, you must go to the Pro lane, which is for driver's with 3 wins or more, or NHRA numbers or if you have slicks. It keeps it fair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts