Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've got an extra VS 750 laying around.....

How do I properly clean it up so that in the tragic circumstance that I have to bolt it back on again, it runs properly without being all gummed up by improper storage???

Thanks,

-AntigummyCarbatoriusWrecks

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Oh!! You want to use it again?? So I guess my BFH wouldn't work!!:rolleyes:

I would give a regular rebuild - bath in carb cleaner, cleaned out real good, then a new rebuild kit.

Randy (Then it'll be ready to go!);)

I

·
0 Posts
I would "kit" the carb. Sitting for long periods of time, gaskets that have been in service and wet with fuel, tend to shrink as they dry completely out. Changing the gaskets, and needle/seats, will allow the carb to rest in peace, without disintegrating. With the carb apart, you can also blow all the passages and jets out, drying them up do they don't get emulsified goo in them from the fuel degrading as it sits.

It s a "change 'em now, or change 'em when you go to use the carb again" selection.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Just set it on the shelf the way it is and when needed, get a rebuild kit for it and rebuild it! Or just buy a kit now and keep it with the carb to save time in the future when it is needed.

Jason

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it makes sense why you guys were recommending rebuilding a carb that only has about 300 miles on the odometer since its last rebuild.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Last carb I parked is still parked on a shelf in the garage. I tipped it over, shook the gas out, pumped the shooters dry, put it in a plastic bag. Gaskets may dry out but I hope verything else will be fine. I wonder if pumping a mix of StaBil and Gas into it would help keep it fresh?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which gaskets are the ones that dry out and cause problems? If someone has already gone through the carb and replaced the old-style cellulose gaskets with the nifty blue ones (metering block & fuel bowl), what other gaskets could cause problems from drying out?

I'm showing off my lack of carb internals knowledge. :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Are you going to have an official decommissioning ceremony? A little flag on the air cleaner stud that lowers slowly...

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike Goble said:
Are you going to have an official decommissioning ceremony? A little flag on the air cleaner stud that lowers slowly...
Crap, I already pulled the air cleaner stud off to put it on the new carb. :rolleyes:

If anyone wants to show up, I supposed to could have a wake with light refeshments and beer. :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i can't make it... i'm sorry. that was a good Ol' Carb too...

my sincerest regards to Carb & the family... may it rest in peace.

i'll PM ya with my addy... just box up and mail the nummies and beer. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
why not just do it now instead of waiting for it to get all gunky and then have to clean that out as well, then when you want to use it all ya gotta do is slap it on

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
NOVACA1N said:
Get a big sledgehammer. You know what to do.
I already suggested a BFH, but he has this crazy idea that he may want to use it again.

Randy (some people just want it all!):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
new2novas said:
why not just do it now instead of waiting for it to get all gunky and then have to clean that out as well, then when you want to use it all ya gotta do is slap it on
No decisions have been made yet. That's why I'm asking questions before I let it sit and get all gunky. :D

Truly, I was not aware that carbs that had already been run couldn't be just cleaned and put away to rest awaiting the day they get used again. Knowing now, what I know now, it'll probably get a rebuild before putting it to bed.

Not that it's ready to rest yet.....see my new thread. Grrrrrr. :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts