Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74 Nova with a 383 stroker. Vortek heads from the '96 truck motor. Don't know what cam is in it. My wife's son built this motor and now he's no longer with us. I'm very confident he matched cam and heads properly. From what his mother tells me he did a ton of research.
He has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake on it that needs replaced. The younger son cracked a corner of it where a bolt hole is.
My question is, is this the best fit for this setup? He had a lot of black sealant applied so there must have been some gaps?
Thanks ahead

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hard to tell about the intake unless you know about the camshaft. With the vortec heads you will need a vortec intake. Just because it has a lot of silicone on it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the engine, it may just mean he didn't know a lot about putting a intake on. If there was a piece broke off they might have pile the silicone on to try to get it to seal. The RPM and Air Gap RPM intakes are very good intakes on the right application. With a good set of vortec heads with the right camshaft along with a good mix of gear/converter and tuning very good power can be made.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If it has a performer rpm airgap on it, then just go back with that or the standard performer rpm. There is little difference in intake performance for a street driven car to notice. Unless it was a bone stock engine or an all out race engine, the span is pretty wide to where intake choice is insignificant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Our plan is to stay as original as the young man built it. He completed the build at age 15. It hung in their shed for a time and when he came home from the Army he dropped it in this Nova, then towed it to Phoenix Arizona where he was going to school. Just before his death at age 25 he was getting into Harleys, assembling his own from bottom up. After that he purchased another bike which he was riding when someone pulled out in front of him.
Besides his bikes he also drove a GMC pickup. With this in mind we're estimating the mileage on this motor to be less than 10,000.
Sorry for the long winded response but I wanted to communicate why its important to us to keep Betsy as Nathan wanted her. We have no idea what future plans he may have had with her.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Can you post a picture of the intake?

He might have just put too much RTV on the china wall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll do that when I get home from work later. I removed it a couple years ago when i was cleaning it up, replacing head gaskets, timing chain cover and gasket. So the black sealant is gone now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll second that just go with the Performer or Air Gap again either will work just fine. Make sure if you buy a new one it is a Vortec intake not the "standard" one as already mentioned. He might have just got a little over enthusiastic with the sealant and there was no sealing problem. Its easy to do, that stuff can get everywhere. Another thought is depending on the crack you might be able to just re-use that intake. I have an aluminum intake with a big crack by one of the bolt holes. Used it a few times like that and never had a sealing or leaking issue. It's just a cosmetic thing in my case if that doesn't bother you. Of course it depends on where yours is exactly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been awhile since I've looked at it. It is an Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec Intake Manifold. Part#7116.
Looking at the condition I think we'd be better off replacing it with a new one.
I was budgeting $200. I'll have to up that some ($265).
Looking at the very front of the intake you'll see a port that appears clogged or filled. Any idea why?
Also the pic of the crack.
Again, looking at it for the first time in awhile I remember why I wanted to replace it.
Dont mind the ratchet strap. Its holding the tranny up off the floor. Which I need to pull and have looked at.
I'm hoping these pics are viewable....

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont know if I'm doing something wrong or what. What good is a $900 phone if you cant post a dang pic? Lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got it for a second but it went away.:confused: I always figure it's my POS computer. I hate these things, always having issues.

Yeah that crack doesn't look like a keeper. Mine is much higher. That plug is just a water port. You'll have to get a threaded plug for it when you get the new intake manifold. I can't remember the size, somebody else will though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your input and your patience for subpar imagery lol
New intake it is! After a new Moroso oil pan #20195. Take it easy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced the timing chain cover and gasket a couple years ago. Felpro.
That's when I discovered a piece that spins between the end of the cam(?) And the inside of the cover. I replaced the cover because this thing, which the name of it escapes me, was wearing a hole thru the cover.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Cam gear. They sell a cam gear button so the cam doesn't walk (move back and forth)so it doesn't rub up against the timing cover.
If you do put a cam button on it go ahead and make sure it is the roller version. That way it should run forever without wearing the front cover. It would also be a good time to check the timing chain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts