Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to plumb the brakes on my 64 what now has fenderwell headers. My friend suggested turning prop valve upside down so that it is away from the header. I don't have a problem with this idea as long as it will bleed. Does it matter which way the fluid flows from the master cylinder to the prop valve?

I have my friends nova as an example, however it has drum brakes with no propvalve...

I'm thinking of doing something similar but with a disc setup...My car will also have a hurst linelock just as my friends car does...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
it should be plumbed front to front, rear to rear. upside this way, upside that way won't matter to my knowledge...

the car in the image, as i see it, has no proportioning valve... that's a line lock that i'm seeing...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Nick, you can install an adjustable proportioning valve into the line that runs to the rear, then install the line lock into the line going to the front. the adjustable valve can be placed pretty much anywhere that you want... just make sure you can get at it to adjust to the right setting then leave it alone. you should never really be in a situation that it'll ever need adjusting again... the line lock can really go anywhere too. the brake lines generally always run down because of bleeding purposes. lines that wrap up and over aren't really the best ticket out there... the top loops do absolutely nothing but trap air... don't do it. you can (relatively inexpensive) install braided lines with banjo fittings that can be installed close fitting to clear the header tubes. they can follow the firewall to the frame rail where they'd plumb into the hard lines with a simple adapter fitting...

don't put any lines above the top of the fluid inlets on the master cylinder...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Johnny, Thats what I thought, The fluid has to flow downward...

I had an adjustable prop valve and had bleeding issues (I didn't know what I was doing at the time) The guy at CPP suggested the non adjustable valve as my car was only a street car where as the adjustable valves are more for race applications... Personally I don't care which valve is used as long as it works.

Yeah.... I dont see a prop valve in that pic at all. Just a line lock
That is my friend's 63 nova. We took the engine out of it and installed it in my 64 nova. His car has drum brakes and mine has disc brakes, however the brake lines on my car where not plumbed for fenderwell headers :no:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Nick, for fenderwells the lines coming out of the master are really close to the header tube... you can use a banjo fitting & braided line running to the frame rail to avoid the heat...

i patched these two images together with the part numbers... these hoses have a 90° end on them, straights are also available..

here's the catalog PDF, scroll to bottom of page and click on the catalog

http://inlinetube.com/Street Rod/streetrod_plumbg.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts